Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 7

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nikilet

Nikilet

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:06 AM

I have a little glitch that recently showed up.
I go to Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance/Free up space on your hard disk. The Disk Cleanup box opens -- and then I get a pop up stating that Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. I did not have Internet Explorer open.

The second part of the problem is that Disk Cleanup then shows me that I can free up around 940,300 kb of space for the items I have selected. The largest portion of this is under "Compress old files." So I click OK and I'm asked if I'm sure I want to do this and I click yes. It runs and appears to be working; however, when it's finished, I close it down, reopen it and discover that nothing has been removed. It still shows the same 940,300 kb.

Can anyone tell me what's going on?

Nikilet

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:20 AM

In order to determin you need to check following :

If you you do CTRL ALT DEL and you look under processes is there still a process IEXPLORER.EXE running?
This could explain the error. The best would be to do the following ( directly after you have had the error)
START RUN and type eventvwr. You will see three headers there. Check if you see any red dots with white crosses in it and post the contents of same.

As far as removing these files you could go into SAFE MODE and try again.

Did you recently scan for viruses or spyware on your computer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users