Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Damaged

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:53 PM

My brother calls me and says his computer crashed.

It boots to the windows screen then the screen is black and it doesn't go further.

Safe mode doesn't won't boot.

Put in xp cd, used recovery console to move files from C:\windows\repair to C:\windows\system32\config\ as per these instructions and the all copied except the system file (from the repair folder, it's just not in there).

When you try to boot windows now, it says "Some files might be missing or corrupt: C:\windows\system32\config\system"

Tried to run setup by booting from cd and choosing repair, but this option is not available, only delete partition, add a duplicate xp to the partition, or quit.

The pc is a dell d810 and didn't come with a floppy drive so we tried to burn my system file onto a cd and copy it to his hard drive in the C:\windows\system32\config\system folder and recovery console said that there was no file on the cd.

I'm at the end of my rope here and my brother needs to save some stuff from the hard drive so a clean install of xp is out of the question unless backup of irreplaceable materials can be accomplished. I'm going to try and compile a batch file to copy all of his stuff onto a usb key thing but don't know if this will work.

I have tried to get to system restore from recovery console but to no avail. The system restore files are there all the way back to january, but I can't get windows to boot for the life of me to run it.

It should be added we have 250 miles between us and I am doing all of this over the phone. If anyone can share any insight as to how to get to the windows repair installation or how to recover from a system restore point let me know.

P.s. He has no floppy drive (laptop) so if I need to load anything from removable media, it's all hinging on him finding a friend with a usb thingy.

Edited by thrillhouse, 19 April 2007 - 12:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:12 AM

You did not say but I'll assume you are using XP Home or Pro. You can download a program called BartPE and use the System Restore Utility to run your Restore Point.
I guess I should have asked first but how do you know his registry is damaged? If he does not have a working computer you will need to download and burn the program to CD for him, or one of his friends will.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:19 AM

It's XP Pro, I ran the stop error it gave one time in google and it came up with a microsoft.com page that said it was a registry error. He rode his bike to the library to try and use the library computer to download the BartPE and burn a cd but it said he didn't have administrative privileges and didn't work so he is now calling people to use their computers to try and get the cd. Thanks for the quick response, I hope it works.

#4 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:14 PM

loaded bartpe, but cant find system restore. how do you run it? tried from command prompt but got an error about missing a .dll file.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:26 PM

There is a third party System Restore Utility in the Program Files.

#6 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:38 PM

he says there is not. I asked him if he saw anything that said restore in program files and he says there is nothing like that in there. I'm going to try on of these all in one barts and if that doesn't work I'm telling him to bite the bullet and reformat. :thumbsup:

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:18 PM

I cannot remember the name of it right now, but when I get home in the morning I will post.

#8 mightyvh

mightyvh

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:33 PM

as a possibility for recovering data if you can't get it to boot is to remove the drive and connect as an external drive. If you're just trying to recover data files pictures, word docs, music etc., they should still be there if they havn't been over written or corrupted
I like my Dell Latitude w/ XP PRO but I love my Duramax

#9 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:01 PM

couldn't save anything, reformatted.

Edited by thrillhouse, 22 April 2007 - 08:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users