Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Unexpectedly Shutting Down

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kgigs

kgigs

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:26 PM

My computer has been unexpectedly shutting down for about a week now. I thought it was something that had been installed onto the computer and got fed up with it so i reformatted it thinking it would fix the problem.

When it came time to install xp back onto the computer it got about three quarters into the installation and then shutdown. I turned it back on and it restarted the installation and got to about the same point and shutdown again. This happened 3 more times and then i gave up, shut it down and went to bed. The next morning and turned it back on and it restarted the installation again but this time was able to finish and was fine most of the day.

This afternoon I was trying to install Microsoft Office back onto the computer and at some point during the installation the computer shutdown again. It did this 4 more times and i've given up trying to install it and have been trying to figure out whats wrong.

Before posting this i was looking through the forums trying to find something that might help. I switched it so that when there is a system failure it won't automatically restart so the bsod would come up and maybe help tell me what the problem was it didn't make a difference and the computer still shutdown while trying to install office. 2 of the times it shut down and error1402 came up something about not being able to open the registry but i didn't get a chance to read it before it shutdown. The computer will also just unexpectedly shutdown while im browsing the internet or not even doing anything.

I downloaded Burn in test but while running the test the computer shuts down and MBM but i can't figure out what type of motherboard i have so i haven't gotten to use it yet.

If anyone could offer any advice that would be great, I've got a huge lab report due next week and if i could get word back on my computer and use it without my computer crashing that would be amazing. Thanks for anyones time in advance..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:12 PM

One possibility is that the computer is over-heating. Check to make sure all the fans are working, PSU, CPU, case fans, and possibly the chipset fan. If there is large amounts of dust/animal hair/cobwebs/etc, they might not be cooling effeciently enough.

Also take a look through the Event Viewer (eventvwr.msc in the run dialog) for any errors, specifically in the 'system' category.

#3 kgigs

kgigs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:30 PM

Thank you so much for your input! As far as i can tell the one fan that im aware of is working, but i don't know how well and my computer is a laptop and theres only two parts on the bottom of it that i can unscrew off, one has the hard drive and the other has blue tooth in it but i didn't see any dust or cobwebs that i could tell.

when i looked trough the event view i found the errors for when the computer shutdown during the office installation and it said:

Product: Microsoft Office Professional 2007 -- Error 1402.Setup cannot open the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Interface\{096CD557-0786-11D1-95FA-0080C78EE3BB}. Verify that you have sufficient permissions to access the registry or contact Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS) for assistance. For information about how to contact PSS, seeC:\DOCUME~1\KATIEG~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Setup00000ec4\PSS10R.CHM.

There is only login account on the computer and its the admin so im not sure what its talking about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users