Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is This Battery Back-up A Good Buy?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:04 PM

I'm thinking about splurging on a decent battery back-up so my expensive computer doesn't get fried during a blackout. Given the powerful nature of my setup, I thought a 750VA battery back-up should cut it. I'm only buying APC, it's a proven brand.

Here's the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16842101002

Worth it?

Specs:
700W PSU
Core 2 Duo 2.4 Conroe Processor
eVGA nForce 680i SLi Motherboard
2 GeForce 7600 GT video cards (for now)
250 GB SATA Western Digital HD (7200 RPM, I think)
160 GB Seagate HD (def 7200 RPM)
Samsung DVD+R/CD-RW
Samsung 931BF (19") LCD Monitor
Simple Floppy Drive :thumbsup:

Peripherals:
Force Feedback Joystick (MS Sidewinder 2)
Powered 4.1 Altec Speakers
DSL Modem
D-Link Wireless Router
Brother HL-2040 Laser Printer

As you can see, my setup sucks up a lot of power. I don't think I'll plug the printer into the back-up, though, I'm not that concerned about it.

A side note, I live in an apartment in an OLD house...fuses burn out if I use too much power in the apartment.

Thanks!
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:45 PM

Nice rig. I would use a little bit larger battery backup(again, APC only) here is a link to a nice one at newegg, based on your system. Comp, up to 700 watt, monitor 40watt? cable modem 5 watt?. looks like the one that you specified is to small for your system. volt amps= run time, watts= max load on battery backup.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16842101006

Edited by oldf@rt, 18 April 2007 - 06:46 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:36 PM

Geez...that thing is enormous. I have to admit that it's a little out of my price range. Do you think there's anything that's respectable for around $100? I had a feeling that the one I was looking at may not be enough for my rig.

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:04 PM

I have that one. Replaced the battery after 2 years. I use it in my entertainment center now. If you go to APC's site they sell more powerful factory refurbished ones fairly cheap
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 18 April 2007 - 09:05 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:09 PM

Thanks, Mark. FYI, Venek, a factory refurbished APC unit is usually just a battery replacement and testing of the electronics. Just look at your total wattage requirement under full load, you will see that I just barely exceeded your total load!
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:18 PM

Hmm, yeah. You have a point there. Guess that's what I get for buying such a powerful rig. Well, guess I'll have to pony up for a good UPS then. Not too much trouble, though, as I recently started a great new job and will be making more money...so I should be able to afford it shortly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users