Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suse Install Help!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:59 PM

K well tommorow im gonna put OpenSuSe on my old Win98 laptop..i need some help doing it tho

i have the 6 .iso files on 6 disks so how do i do this?

thanks!
Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 robroy

robroy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:22 PM

In bios set your computer to boot from cd first then insert the first cd and follow the instructions
My Blog

Posted Image

S rhioghal Mo Dhream

B' fherr Gidhlig briste na Beurla cliste.

#3 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:09 PM

if the disk just shows the ISO file, it was burned wrong. You have to use your burning software to 'burn disk image' or something similar, then you should see a plethora of files and folders on each disk.

#4 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:55 PM

I havent done it yet im doing it tommorow...im downloading the .iso's now..still...but im gonna burn the to a cd using the windows burner...and so i just set boot priorty to boot CD firsT? and then insert it and itll do its thing? do i need to put an autorun.inf on there?

#5 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:46 AM

The built-in windows CD burner won't convert the ISO file into a proper CD, it will just burn one ISO file onto the disk. If you don't have CD burning software take a look at BWG Burn, it's an open-source burner, get it at http://sourceforge.net/projects/bwgburn/ . With that you would be able to burn the image file, and correctly create those CD's

#6 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:08 PM

That is correct. You will need other software for it to convert the .iso file to the correct format that the computer can read.

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#7 Monster_user

Monster_user

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:13 PM

do i need to put an autorun.inf on there?

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me stress this.

1. The Autorun.inf only works with Windows. It does not make the CD bootable.
Actually, most Linux LiveCDs have an autorun.inf file, that simply tells Windows to load an HTML file. A webpage on the CD, that describes the Linux distribution.

2. The ISO is a CD.

3. The ISO is already bootable. DO NOT tell the burning utility to make it a bootable CD. It will break the ISO's boot program. Not only that, but the burning program, Windows included, does not support booting into Linux.

When you burn the ISO, there should be a bunch of folders on the CD. A "boot" folder, and other folders similar to those in the following list.

dev
tmp
isolinux
bin
etc
opt
lib

Edited by Monster_user, 19 April 2007 - 11:14 PM.

The Answers are out there, you've just got to know how to find them.

#8 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 01:00 PM

The ISO is already bootable. DO NOT tell the burning utility to make it a bootable CD. It will break the ISO's boot program.

The ISO file is not bootable when you download it unless you have the proper software that will decode it and burn the files in the ISO to the selected drive.

Not only that, but the burning program, Windows included, does not support booting into Linux.

What do you mean by that statement it makes absolutely no sence? Of course windows wont boot to Linux because only on OS can run at a time unless installed on a virtual machine. What you would need to do is make sure your motherboard will support boot from CD option and then put the CD in the master CD drive. In the case your motherboard does not support the option get the latest BIOS update if possible.

-Steve

Edited by need TOS, 24 April 2007 - 01:02 PM.

Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#9 Monster_user

Monster_user

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:34 PM

The ISO is already bootable. DO NOT tell the burning utility to make it a bootable CD. It will break the ISO's boot program.

The ISO file is not bootable when you download it unless you have the proper software that will decode it and burn the files in the ISO to the selected drive.

Semantics.

Let me explain. The ISO "file" cannot be booted from. The ISO does contain the "image" of a bootable CD. I've had several people check a box to "Make the CD bootable", in Nero, or Roxio, or whatever comes with Windows these days. That option conflicts with the booloader included in the ISO image. Since I've rarely used that option, I don't know what software it puts on the CD, or how it works, exactly.

Not only that, but the burning program, Windows included, does not support booting into Linux.

What do you mean by that statement it makes absolutely no sence? Of course windows wont boot to Linux because only on OS can run at a time unless installed on a virtual machine. What you would need to do is make sure your motherboard will support boot from CD option and then put the CD in the master CD drive. In the case your motherboard does not support the option get the latest BIOS update if possible.

-Steve

That was an extension of the above. Nero, Roxio, or "Whatever" comes with Windows. I've heard rumors that Windows Vista, and maybe even MCE have their own burning utilities. That is what "Windows Included" was refering to. I threw it out there, at the risk of sounding like an idiot.

What I meant was, to get technical, or literal, etc... Is that whatever that "Make a bootable disc" option does, it conflicts with the bootloader included in the ISO image. When I have used that option, it loaded to some kind of command prompt. From which I could not load the OS on the CD, that I had burned from an ISO image.
The Answers are out there, you've just got to know how to find them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users