Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smitfraudfix Caused Stop Error. Pls Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nash159

nash159

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:45 PM

hi. my computer (windows xp pro sp2, ie6) was recently infected with malware wiped(popups telling me to install remover). i found the removal guide posted in this forum and started to follow it. At the step where i have to wait for smitfraudfix to fix, i reset the computer because it was taking too much time and i thought it might have gotten stuck.
After that i tried to boot and i couldn't get into windows. I keep getting a blue screen with the msg:

"STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly
with a status of 0xc0000022 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down."

after the windows boot logo screen appears.

I have tried to get into safe mode, use last known good configuration, do a repair install, all to no avail.
Please help. :thumbsup:

And what exactly does smitfraudfix do? i thought it just removed bho, temp and startup files and did some cleaning up. didn't realise resetting would cause so much trouble. :flowers: :trumpet:

Thanks

Edited by nash159, 18 April 2007 - 02:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:52 PM

CAUSE
The STOP 0xC000021A error occurs when either Winlogon.exe or Csrss.exe fails. When the Windows NT kernel detects that either of these processes has stopped, it stops the system and raises the STOP 0xC000021A error. This error may have several causes, including, but not limited to the following:
• Mismatched system files have been installed.
• A Service Pack installation has failed.
• A backup program that as used to restore a hard disk did not correctly restore files that may have been in use.
• An incompatible third party program been installed.

The quote taken from How to troubleshoot a "STOP 0xC000021A" error

Sorry I can't answer the part related to what smitfraudfix actually does. That will have to be answerd by one of the HJT Team or other qualified malware expert.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:31 AM

There are currently some issues with the smitfraudfix and the developper is having those under study. At this moment they are studying an user friendly solution to these issues and we will revert soonest. Thanks for your patience.

#4 nash159

nash159
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:00 AM

Thanks a lot for the info. I'm glad the issues are being looked into.

Have you been aware of any other incidences of STOP errors with improper use of smitfraudfix?

In the mean time, can u suggest anything else i can try? i really don't feel like doing a manual backup and full system restore.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users