Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windowsxp Home

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 airaced57

airaced57

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:23 PM

I reported this previously and finished up installing "Quick Shutdown",a small but effective program as suggested by a fellow member. This program is still working however, I have yet to determine the root cause of the problem in the system that is causing it to fail to shut down. I again attempted to run sfc /scannow and I get the message "Insert Windows XP Professional,Service Pack 2 CD now" I do not have WinXP Professional,I have Win XP Home.

The CDs that came with my Medion pc are (A) Application and Support Disc which includes System Recovery powered by Symantec and (B) Medion Operating System Installation CD.

I also have the following CDs. WindowsXP Service Pack 2 which was mailed to me at my request by Microsoft several years ago and Microsoft Windows.Security Update CD dated February,2004.

When I insert these CDs,with the exception of (B) above, I am advised I have inserted the wrong disk. When I insert (B), I am given five options related to the OS but not to the sfc /scannow procedure and the message mentioned in para.#1 above remains on the monitor.

The options I am given from (B) above are:
1) Install,
2) Learn more about setup,
3) Install optional components,
4) Perform Additional Tasks and
5) Check system compatability.
Am I mistaken when I say these are not related to the sfc /scannow function?

Can someone advise me if and how I may have gone wrong in this procedure and suggest how I might remedy the situation as I really would like to get my OS back in full running order without having to rely on an outside program. TYIA. mchaggis.

BTW, The only way I have been able to opt out of the sfc /scannow procedure has been to use the Quick Shutdown program since the sfc /scannow message box also refuses to shut down when I click on the cancel button.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:57 PM

It sounds like a program is hanging at shut down and locking your system. Look in the Event Viewer under Administrative Tools, which is located in the Control Panel. Please list the last 2 or 3 errors reported. Please do not list the entire log. If this error has been happening for a while the same error will continue to appear.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 airaced57

airaced57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:04 AM

Thank you for your reply Asklan.
I clicked on "Turn off computer" and "Restart" twice each to bring up the error notifications in the Event Viewer. You are correct,they are all application hangs.Events that indicate "None" under category, show:" Falt bucket" 120755232 under the description.
While events bearing category (101) show either hang up in expl.exe or SD-file.exe

I am afraid my lack of knowledge leaves me unable to attach a copy of the aforementioned errors.I attempted a "print screen" capture however could not find away to append it to this message. I hope the above information contains what you requested. mchaggis.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:23 AM

Is it SD.exe? In that case you have a nasty piece of malware onboard which could explain your problems. Did you recently scan on viruses/spyware?

#5 airaced57

airaced57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:49 AM

Yes, the Description shows the hang is:SD_File.exe, version 5.1.0.1

A run spyware scans at least once daily.I use Spybot and Spysweeper. Spysweeper usually catches some tracking cookies which I quarantine but it has been many moons since Spybot has identified anything. Both programs are checked for updates daily. What is the full name of the malware and is there as specific site that shows how to get rid of it. TYI.mchaggis

#6 airaced57

airaced57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:54 AM

My apologies, I should also have mentioned I run AVG and Avast virus scans daily and keep them both up to date. mchaggis

#7 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:28 AM

Please upload the files at Jotti or Virustotal and post back the result

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:06 AM

My apologies, I should also have mentioned I run AVG and Avast virus scans daily and keep them both up to date. mchaggis

Do you have both of them active at the same time? Running two antivirus program at the same time is known to cause problem. Be sure that only one antivirus and only one firewall program is runs at a time.
If you know how post you images to your personal web space provided by your ISP use that, and then insert the picture using the image tag (img).

Example:

[img]<URL of Picture you wish to insert>[/img]

#9 airaced57

airaced57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:43 AM

AVG is my primary AV program and email scanner however I close it down daily when running the Avast program scan.

Hate to advertise my ignorance but while my ISP does provide personal web space,I do not have any because setting up same is way beyond my current capabilities.

Fozzie,
What files do you wish me to upload to either Jotti or Virustotal? SD_File.exe and Explorer.exe, if so, how do I navigate to access them?

I did a search for SD_File.exe but all I came up with was my Sure Delete file which I use to safely delete my company's documents.

#10 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:46 AM

if you go to jotti you at the top of the paste a browse button. browse to those files and submit them one by one and post back to rule out malware issues

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:29 AM

Hate to advertise my ignorance but while my ISP does provide personal web space,I do not have any because setting up same is way beyond my current capabilities.

It is not that hard. Your space usually can be accessed with an FTP client. It is like opening two "My Computer" windows. On the left is your computer, and the right pane you have the ISP's server. Simply drag and drop your files.
I like FireFTP. It is a simple light program that plugs into FireFox.
If you perfer IE try FTP Surfer. It works equally as well, but is a stand alone program.
Just enter the url where your perosnal folder is located www.members.yourISP.com/UserName. Enter your User name and password. That should do it. You ISP well walk you through the procedure. This is fairly common.
When you are setup you can upload your pic and use the URL location to add them to posts.

#12 airaced57

airaced57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:30 AM

Scans using Jotti were negative for both files SD_File.exe and Explorer.exe

I did not mention before but when I am not using the pc, I usually just put it on "Stand by" and I can still do that. It is only the "Turn off" & "Restart" functions that do not respond when I click on these buttons. mchaggis

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:50 AM

You can aways use "Copy & Paste" to post the error messages. A picture is not required.

#14 airaced57

airaced57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:01 AM

When I open the error messages in the application log of the event viewer under administrative tools, highlight the message and right click on it, I do not get a drop down menu that lets me copy the information for pasting. All I get is a box saying "What's this". Where am I going wrong? mchaggis.

P.S.
With regards to the FTP surfer, I downloaded it and contacted my ISP. To say I am confused would be an understatement. I had difficulty understanding the techs instructions so he directed me to a self help section on their site that will help me set up my own web space. I will go over this carefully and hopefully be able to set things up properly. To be perfectly honest however, I have absolutely no idea why it is desirable to have this web space,what purpose it serves or what I can do with it once I have it. Possibly you could enlighten me or suggest a site I can go to that might provide some assistance in this regard. I am going to treat this web space question as a different subject and will get back to you on it if I need further asssitance.

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:34 AM

I use my personal webspace strictly to post documents and pictures so I can link to them when asking for help or helping others. Like a screen shot of an error message.
An example would be when I posted a picture of my cat in the "I like cats" topic.

Here is how I enter the url

[img]http://members.cox.net/acklan/tomdesk1.jpg[/img]

Here is what it looks like in the post

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users