Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

firewall issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 eggs

eggs

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 13 January 2005 - 12:10 AM

Hello,

I recently upgraded my operating system from Windows XP Home edition to XP Professional. I disabled the firewall for an unrelated task, but now I cannot re-enable the firewall. When I check the box to do so, I get the following message: An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled. The dependency service or group failed to start."

Don't know if the OS upgrade has anything to do with it. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Apocalypse1972

Apocalypse1972

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 13 January 2005 - 07:28 AM

Error:
An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled. The dependency service or group failed to start.
Translation:
A service needed by ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) is not running.

Solution:
Click Start, Run, type services.msc, and click OK. To enable a service, find it in the right pane and double-click its entry. Be sure its Startup Type is set to Automatic and click OK. All the following services must be thus configured in order to use ICS:

Application Layer Gateway Service
Network Connections
Network Location Awareness (NLA)
Plug And Play
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
Remote Access Connection Manager
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Telephony

After verifying and/or configuring Automatic startup for each of these services, close the Services window and restart the computer before attempting again to enable ICS.

The above information found from...
http://www.smartcomputing.com/techsupport/...=&ErrorID=21695

Edited by Apocalypse1972, 13 January 2005 - 02:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users