Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Being Used Up And Slow Internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GMD

GMD

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:41 PM

My desktop PC running XP Home is behaving strangely. In the last hour 10 minutes I have needed to reboot 5 times. This locking up has only started occurring around an hour ago and nothing on the system has been changed. When I say the PC is locking up I know at least 3 of the 5 occasions I was putting something into Firefox 2 browser. Just a few moments ago the PC froze as I was accessing the START menu - Firefox was not running.

The PC is not totally freezing at first. Pressing ALT TAB brings up the task swapping box and allows me to move between applications and depending on the level of the crash the relevant application is displayed; however regardless of what application is brought up none are responsive and the system quickly becomes totally unresponsive other then ALT TAB

The only application I have installed in the time of problems is a-squared free after reading this site for recommendations on software.

Prior to the PC locking up it had been running fine, although I had noticed some interesting behavior:

1) Memory was being used up for no apparent reason - i normally have xp and all system drivers and apps running with 450mb free. However my free memory has been going down to as little as 200mb (i have 1gb ram)

2) My internet connection has been slow over the last 2 days when using my desktop pc (my laptop off the same router appears to be running at normal speed on the internet).

I ran an in-depth scan using nod32 and found a trojan in an old installation of xp (on what is now my old hard drive (not bootable)) and deleted that; nothing was resident in memory. I cannot say if I have any spyware as each time I have attempted to run any sort of spyware app the pc has ended up locking up.

The Desktop PC has been running in safe mode fine for the last 11 minutes as i write this on my laptop.

Has anyone got some advice for me or is there a log I can view that shows why the PC has frozen or a piece of software that can help?

Thankyou for reading this.
Graham

Edited by GMD, 18 April 2007 - 12:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:26 PM

RUn your spyware apps while in safe mode and allow them to repair/quarantine/delete anything they find. If the problem still exists after that then post a HiJack this log and let an expert help you out.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:19 PM

If your computer seems to be slow, read Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware. There are reasons for slowness besides malware - i.e. disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. As your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 madexotic

madexotic

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:40 PM

I heard that if you sms alot & click on links even from friends and trusted users that there's a nasty virus that is causing the problem that you 're describing.
Apparently running "superantispyware" gets rid of the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users