Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Does The Little Icon For Internet Activity Light Up When I'm Not Doing Anything?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:52 AM

Hi,

I notice that my internet activity status (I'm on dial-up) shows stuff being sent/received, even when I'm not doing anything. Anywhere between 300 and 1000 bytes (approx.). It does it if I have OE open but not doing anything, and the same with Firefox. It also does it when I don't have any programs open. However, I don't *think* it does it all the time, because there have been times when I'm connected but don't open any programs and just wait to see if it lights up, and it doesn't.

Any help is appreciated -- thanks!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:03 PM

The reason it lights up, even if there is no activity internet related, is the fact that information needs to be sent to your ISP (Internet Service Provider). This allows your computer to stay online. Nothing to be worried about.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:41 PM

The reason it lights up, even if there is no activity internet related, is the fact that information needs to be sent to your ISP (Internet Service Provider). This allows your computer to stay online. Nothing to be worried about.

Okey-doke, thanks!

Edited by bloomcounty, 18 April 2007 - 12:44 PM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:52 PM

Also, even though you aren't doing anything,

the computer is -

Your AV program might be checking for updates,

Windows Updater may be checking for updates,

Your Anti-Spyware program might be checking for updates.

Quicktime may be checking for updates.

Your PC time may be syncing with the atomic clock.

Your firewall may be checking for updates.

Your, well, I think you get the idea ....

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:16 PM

Thanks for the post!

Ah, well, that makes sense...

Although, ZA isn't set to automatically check for updates. AVG only checks in the morning (once). I don't have/use Quicktime. I don't use Automatic Updates for Windows. And any other program that has an option to not use auto-update, I believe I have it set as such... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users