Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

For You Computer Junkies, Help!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 nokuku4u

nokuku4u

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:57 AM

Dear BleepingComputer forums,

I checked all the sticky topics but they didn't seem to help. I used to know a decent amount about computers. I just recently found out about ddr2 and all this new stuff is confusing me. Can any of you guys advise me if this is suitable setup? I don't have a limit to how much money but I'd like to keep it low (don't we all). I just want a good enough computer that can handle its own on full settings for these new games.

Motherboard:
Asus m2n-sli deluxe socket am2 570 MCP ATX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131013

Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ 3.0Ghz AM2 processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103759

or
AMD Athlon 64 x2 5200+ 2.6Ghz AM2 processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103773

Ram:
Hyperx 1gig ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820134014

or

G.skill two 1gig sticks
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231098

Video card:
EVGA GeForce 7900GS
http:www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16814130056

Power supply:
http://powmax.com/pics/power/demon480w.htm

Do these all work together? Should I pay a little more for the video card or get the more expensive processor? Like I said earlier. I just want a gaming computer that can handle todays games on full settings. I don't want a super computer that can play the next decade games

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:53 AM

Looks good. I would definitely go with the 6000+ processor, as well as the two 1 gig sticks. DDR2 RAM runs better in tandem, especially with matched frequencies.

That gfx card looks good, and the mobo supports SLI, so you can always drop another one in there if things start to lag.

The only thing I would suggest you look deeper into is the Power Supply. There is no price on the one you listed, but you should be able to find a PSU for <$100.

Check out this one: Rosewill

Or this one: Cooler Master

You will want something with dual 12V rails for running SLI, at least 15A-18A per rail.

So, do you already have optical drives? What about a keyboard and mouse? Monitor?

What kind of case are you planning to put this into? Make sure it is ATX, and that it has good airflow (one intake and one exhaust fan at least). Just some things to think about. :thumbsup:

Regards,
bg04
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#3 nokuku4u

nokuku4u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:07 PM

ty bluegold

I'll get the 6000 processor, graphics card, and ram.

what are the rails you speak of? the 12v and what not

i already have a sound card, monitor, mouse, and computer case

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:17 PM

How many rails you have on a PSU is largely irrelevant. It can help isolate electric noise but beyond that it is only confusing. What you want to look for is a large combined output of the 12v rails.

The Truth about PSU power ratings. I recommend going for a high quality PSU, liek on of these: CoolerMaster, Enermax, Fortron Source (FSP Group), OCZ, PC Power & Cooling, SeaSonic, Silverstone, Sparkle, Tagan, Vantec, Verax or Zalman.

Have you checked with Kingston's site if the memory you've chosen is compatible with the motherboard in question?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 nokuku4u

nokuku4u
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:13 PM

wow STOP!

O.K., change of plans. I just figured out what SLI is and i don't care for having dual videocards. I just want a good ASUS board thats not SLI cause i have no need for sli. Is AM2 sli technology?

Here's what I'm getting so far

Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ 3.0Ghz AM2 processor

Video Card:
EVGA GeForce 7900GS

Ram:
G.skill 2x 1Gig
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231098

Can anyone find me a good Asus MoBo thats not wasted money on SLI technology?

Thank you guys for all your help

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:28 PM

Here is a link to newegg, for the full Socket am2 from asus line:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....name=Socket+AM2

Edited by oldf@rt, 18 April 2007 - 04:28 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#7 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:54 PM

Most high end boards are coming out with SLI regardless... It is a pain, but you may just need to get one that has only two PCI-express slots and an array of PCI and PCIx1 slots...
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#8 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:13 PM

Are you completely set on getting the am2 processor? I used to be a hardcore amd fan, but the c2d is just too good, especially overclocked. I would really consider it.

Here's a great case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....ion=centurion+5
Any of the ones WITHOUT a power supply will be great in just about any setup.

As for memory, there used to be a deal on ddr2 800 patriot memory on newegg, 2 x 1 gig sticks for about 160 after m.i.r. (which i actually got for once!). . .don't know if its still there or not.

Edited by T, 18 April 2007 - 07:13 PM.

Posted Image

#9 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:38 AM

AM2 is the chipset for the mobo, which dictates which processors will fit onto it.

I would agree with Ocelot, I too am an AMD fan; however, the future of the AM2 platform is uncertain. Thus, you may wind up with a mobo that doesn't support future processors from AMD. And for the money, the Core 2 Duo is the better processor.

SLI is an option, not a necessity. However, as games become more intense, SLI may become a cost-effective method to keep up.

Regards,
bg04
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus

#10 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:59 AM

AM2 is the socket currently used for AMD processors. There is no link between it and SLI. And as has been said you can have a SLI motherboard without using two video cards; I'm doing so right now. Although I doubt that SLI will ever be a cost effective solution.

Also, after the latest round of price-cuts AMD processors are competitive with Intel's Core 2 processors as long as your not planning to overclock. Also, AMD has stated that the K10 processors will be backwards compatible with socket AM2

Edited by Mr Alpha, 19 April 2007 - 09:00 AM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#11 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:09 AM

Thanks for that info Mr Alpha. I'm not trying to hijack this post but... Do you have a link to that literature about the K10 processors? And why would SLI not be cost-effective?

Regards,
bg04

#12 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:40 AM

Here is a discussion about Barcelona, the server version of K10.

SLI doubles the cost, power consumption and heat generation, but doesn't double performance. It also increases complexity, which means more bugs and compatibility problems. It is a better idea to get one high-end card than two mid-range cards. The only time SLI makes any sense is with two high-end cards, and as with all high-end computer stuff you get the problem of diminishing returns, and the price/performance ratio goes down the toilet.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 19 April 2007 - 09:50 AM.

#13 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:38 PM

I have never limited myself to just one company when building a new machine. I just try to get the best offered at the moment. Right now that would be the Intel Core 2 Duo, or the quad core (extreme) processors.

Plus, the power draw and heat seems to be less.

#14 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:39 PM

Only way I can see that sli is effective is if you already have a rig with a decent videocard. If you couldn't return the card for another one slightly better, you could instead spend another say 150 dollars on a duplicate of your old card, instead of 200 for a new one, for better/comparable performance. Sli is still an unsure technology though.

Posted Image

#15 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:54 PM

Same goes for ATI crossfire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic