Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc With Problem Sharing!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jeniax

jeniax

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:12 AM

I have a home network with 3 PCs on it. They all share an internet connection just fine, but 1 of them (mine, the other 2 are my sons' PCs) simply doesn't show up on the network. I've messed with this for months, wasn't really concerned--they don't need access to mine anyway, was my thought. Well, my oldest has a PC with only 20 GB (or whatever they are!) of memory & has totally maxed it out, and my youngest had 40, but he's fast approaching the same situation, mostly due to repetitive MP3 files on all 3 PCs. So now I would like to share at least my music files so all those files could be kept on my PC, freeing up space on theirs.
I used the Networking wizard to set this up with a linksys router. Their PCs were immediately visible on the network on each of their PCs, but mine was not & on mine, I cannot 'see' theirs. I re-did it several times, always with the same results. Can anyone think of a reason for this to happen?
I have looked thru several books & have searched the net, but I haven't found anything referencing this particular issue! FYI-All Pcs are running XP, it's a wireless router, but it's NOT a wireless network--it's hardwired with CAT5. This is probably something stupid--I am definitely an amateur at the networking thing!!
Thanks, Jen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:20 AM

Are all 3 PC's in the same workgroup?

#3 jeniax

jeniax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:16 PM

Now, they SHOULD be, as I set them up the same when I used the wizard to create the network. This is why you should have a professional set up your network, right? When I try to even view my Home network on my PC, I get a message that I don't have access to this workgroup & I should contact my network's administrator to get access to the network. (That would be me, but I'm, of course, clueless!!) If you get on either of the other PCs, you can view the network, see the other boy's computer & even the printer that is hooked up to my PC, but NOT mine!! I haven't tried to locate my PC while on one of theirs in a while, so I can't remember exactly what happened when I tried, but I remember it didn't work. I had suspected that somehow I made one of theirs the PC 'in charge', but it didn't seem to be that way. I will get on one of the others & try again, just to refresh my memory--as this could still be the problem, I guess!
As you can see, This is why I need help!!
One thing I should add, maybe it's important, maybe not--I did the wizard thing on my PC, but when it said to make a disk to take to the other 2, I had to use a thumb drive instead, as my new PC didn't come with a Floppy Drive. (This wouldn't have anything to do with it??)
This is what I did--I ran the wizard, doing what it said, then I made the set-up file, put it on the Thumb drive & then used it on the other 2 PCs. I did not think I had to use that set-up file on mine also, as I set it up on that one. I later removed all the network info, ran the wizard over again & did try to use the set-up file on mine also, but it didn't change anything. I actually did that several times, trying to get it right, but always with the same results.
Hopefully all that makes sense!! That wizard really seemed very straightforward, so I just can't figure out what went wrong.

#4 jeniax

jeniax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:17 PM

OK, I got on one of the other PCs & you CAN 'see' my PC in the workgroup, but if you try to open it, it says, in short, that it is "not accessable, might not have permission, contact admin" Under that, it says - The network path was not found.
Also, I read a post from the page before this--'Some Help' I think it was called & followed the link given by Acklan about setting up networks & wanted to check that I had simple file sharing set up. So I opened My Computer>Tools>View, and went to the bottom & I don't have a Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended) check box. Now I'm really confused. I checked the other PC & it doesn't have it either.
Should I just try to start from scratch again? I have been avoiding this because I was having problems with losing our internet connection, then I managed to fix that, but I don't really know how I fixed it. I don't want to go thru THAT again, so I hesitate to start over again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users