Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet Card Not Working Properly...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JoshT

JoshT

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:37 AM

I can't seem to find out why my ethernet card will now work!

I've moved into a new apartment, and the cable people sent up some new modems, and it just stops working....

I talked to the support from charter but, they said I would have to contact the manufacturer....

since ethernet cards are pretty cheap, should I buy I new one if it's actually broken?

I tried to update the driver, but it didn't do anything.

Thanks

-JoshT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:42 AM

That would be the easy way out, to replace the NIC. That, however, does not assure you that will fix the problem.
Is there a ? or ! next to the NIC in the Device Manager? Did it ever work at your current location? Does your modem have both USB and an Ethernet port? If yes, is Charter sure they provisioned the Ethernet port and not the USB port?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 JoshT

JoshT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:45 AM

That would be the easy way out, to replace the NIC. That, however, does not assure you that will fix the problem.
Is there a ? or ! next to the NIC in the Device Manager? Did it ever work at your current location? Does your modem have both USB and an Ethernet port? If yes, is Charter sure they provisioned the Ethernet port and not the USB port?

AHA! You gave me an idea! I'ma try out the USB port on the modem.

I don't remember seeing a ? or a !, I'll have to check again. I know the modem works, I'm using it right now with my P4, Win XP.

the computer in question is a Compaq Presario 5012us. Windows ME (migraine edition).

Also, I'm thinking of switching to ubuntu from Windows Me, does anyone have any resources on how?

Thanks,

JoshT

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:54 AM

I ran 13 computers from 2001 to 2005 on ME and never had a real issue. I guess I was luck.
If the issue is the USB verse Ethernet i would contact Charter and have them provision the Ethernet instead. It is a much more reliable platform for networking, instead of USB.

#5 JoshT

JoshT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:01 AM

I ran 13 computers from 2001 to 2005 on ME and never had a real issue. I guess I was luck.
If the issue is the USB verse Ethernet i would contact Charter and have them provision the Ethernet instead. It is a much more reliable platform for networking, instead of USB.

it's not the USB Vs Ethernet...

I'm trying to get the usb just to work, If I want Ethernet, and I do, I think I'm needing to get a new pci card...

BUT, I'm not entirely sure, my Linksys Wireless-G Router, isn't working properly...

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:11 PM

If it was working in your old apt. and all you did was move, make sure everything is hooked up properly. First connect your NIC directly to the modem, bypassing the router. If that works you know it's a router issue. When your NIC is plugged in you should see a small green LED lite up by the plug on the back of the machine
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:57 PM

Also, you might want to check to make sure the NIC is seated properly.

Sometimes, simply moving a computer will cause a card to unseat.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#8 JoshT

JoshT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:14 PM

*sighs* Alright, this is what I've done...

I bought a new Linksys PCI 10/100 Ethernet Card installed it, and now I'm talking directly to this website from my computer threw the cable Ambit Modem to here.

What I need help with now is my Wireless-G Broadband Router Model WRT54G From Linksys, it's not connecting to the modem. At all.

I've ran the set up multiple times, and I still cannot fix it.
I would REALLY like to use the darn Router, because my parents REALLY want wireless, and of course it's not working either.
So, anyone know anything?

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:23 PM

Have you looked on the Linksys website for possible firmware updates?

Linksys Tech Support

#10 JoshT

JoshT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:53 PM

Yes, it is up to date. I only bought this Router a few weeks ago....

Has anyone heard of Ambit before?

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:30 PM

I will assume you checked the web site, but just because you purchased it a few weeks ago does not mean it is not several months old. For that matter that it did not come from the factory with defective firmware or drivers.
I was just trying to make a suggestion that in the passed has solved problem related directly with Linksys products. At this point I will bow out and let others assist you.

#12 JoshT

JoshT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:35 PM

I will assume you checked the web site, but just because you purchased it a few weeks ago does not mean it is not several months old. For that matter that it did not come from the factory with defective firmware or drivers.
I was just trying to make a suggestion that in the passed has solved problem related directly with Linksys products. At this point I will bow out and let others assist you.

Yeah, I checked the website, I had the most updated firmware, thanks.

The problem was, (from what I could tell after talking to live support via web chat with linksys support peoples.) I had to clone the MAC address from the AMBIT modem. So after having alot of fun racing up and down the stairs to bring a computer close to the router, It's been fixed/

Thanks to all your guys' help, you guys really have been a great support group.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users