Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Decompressing Downloaded Files In Xp

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 loque

loque

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:55 AM

Hi guys,

I have a problem installing downloaded things on XP. I've racked various peoples brains about this but as of yet I haven't been able to find a cure to this annoying problem.

I tried to download adobe acrobat reader, and a demo of a pc game called rFactor.
Acrobat downloads but when it decrompresses it to install it, I get an error saying the file is corrupted. This simply isn't true, I have installed the identical file on my pc downstairs and on friends PC's before, and since I encountered my problems.
Similar problem with the rFactor install, the file downloads, but then when I try to install it I get a message saying "Error decompressing data! Corrupted installer?" which again, I know to be not true because I have since downloaded and installed in downstairs.

Seems to be something in the way that it's being downloaded. I have tried it with Firefox and I am trying the download with IE as I type. This is a new hard drive with a clean install of Windows XP Professional, service pack 2 has NOT been installed and windows has not been updated in any way (it fails the authenification tests because this copy has been round the doors).

Thanks for your help, in advanced, much appreciated.

Matt.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:00 AM

Can you unpack any compressed files in that computer whether downloaded or not?
Have you tried using a different unpacking application for these files?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:01 AM

Newer software are written specifically for SP2, this is probably why it won't install. You can still install SP2 even if it is a non-genuine copy of XP, so first thing I would do is install SP2.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 loque

loque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:04 AM

Can you unpack any compressed files in that computer whether downloaded or not?
Have you tried using a different unpacking application for these files?
Regards,
John

It has worked with smaller files, like drivers and a p2p searcher called Soulseek. Seems to be with the bigger files it falls down.

What do you mean by using a different unpacking application??

Thanks.

#5 loque

loque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:25 AM

Update:

I have just downloaded SP2 from Microsoft, but I can't install it because the file is "corrupt".

NOW do you see my problem?? :thumbsup:

#6 loque

loque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:16 AM

Ok.
So I've tried putting the programs onto the PC from another source (another PC) and they decompress fine. It seems to be only a problem when I download things onto my hard drive.

Maybe I should reinstall windows, cause it's sounding like dodgy system files of some sort.

Any ideas??

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:19 AM

You can check the system files using the sfc /scannow command. You should also run chkdsk to check for hard disk errors.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users