Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Maaat

Maaat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:23 AM

I am having a problem with a reinstall I did of XP on my new computer. I'll just start from the begining.

I bought it three weeks ago, its a reletively top of the line Intel, I cant remember the exact specs at the moment and I dont have access to them either but ive needed im sure I could dig them up.
It worked great for those three weeks and then one night I went out and my little brother and his friend were at the house.
I got back the next day at like 2:30 and he looks at me and says, Hey, The Computers broken.

so I asked him what happened and he says he woke up and walked by it somewhere during the night and it was on a DOS screen and it was running some sort of delete program. He turned it off and restarted it and when it loaded all these parts of windows were missing, nothing worked, and the internet was inacessible.
So I loaded up the computer, and it kept freezing on the windows loadscreen and i tried like cd and loading in safemode but it was screwed.

So I figured I'd reinstall windows.
that went without a problem, and everything seemed ok until i got to the screen that comes up when you choose your username and login. That screen loaded in a very bizzare way- it started out dark blue, and then a wave of lighter blue came down of the top, and then a lighter blue, and then a lighter blue, and slowly, and in waves, loaded all the little icons and whatnot.
well that was wierd but I was willing to accept it as some sort of startup thing- I have installed and reinstalled xp and other OS's on computers before but I always left before XP actually came on.
So I logged on and the nice little completly clear screen loaded and I went to bring up the startmenu and that kinda waved in two, like I was watching it refresh in slow motion almost.
Anyways, these are my problems- When I look at a page on the internet, and scroll down, instead of scrolling like normal the screen slowly refresehes to be the point I scrolled at.
It runs slower then it should, cant check itself for errors, and the driver for the PCI Device is not working.

Anyways, any ideas?
Im not terribly computer savvy, but I've always been able to fix stuff before.
Is this some sort of new, reformat resistant virus? Did my brother and his friends download something that somehow ate some peice of hardware? Ive tried many things to fix the PCI Device driver, but I nothing I download or try seems to work. Would that cause this?
oh, for Virus protection before and after Im runnning Norton and Tenebril SpySweeper and Comodo Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:29 AM

Does anything show up in Task Manager that is eating up all your memory or CPU?

It may have been a corrupt install. If it isn't too much trouble I would probably just format the drive and reinstall XP again to see if this fixes the problem.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Maaat

Maaat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:44 AM

I thought that might be it so I looked and no matter what application I was running or while I was websurfing there was no more difference in memory then there should have been and I didnt see programs I didnt recognize running.
yeah, im actually reinstalling it as we speak (or type, or whatever) and hopefully that clears it up.
I guess reinstall problems are pretty common? Ive never had one until now but looking the internet for even a few minutes there whole web pages dedicated to this type of problem.
god i wish I knew what my brother and his freinds did on here/..

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:07 AM

If you only bought it three weeks ago, maybe you can take it back and exchange it for another? Maybe the kids didn't do anything wrong and something mechanical has shown up after using it for awhile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users