Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is "bit9.tmp" A Virus?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 don_s

don_s

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:19 AM

Hi folks....

A few weeks ago the fine people on the Hijackthis side of this forum helped me clean up a particularly malicious infection... Since then, I've been noticing strange (ie: never-before seen) files popping up in folders all over my machine.

The newest one is: "bit9.tmp". It's shown up in my C":\Documents and Settings\USER\Local Settings\Temp" folder.

I don't know what this is, but it's big(ish): 18 000kb.

I googled it, and all I found was that it's part of the "GOOGLE UPDATER" package, which I do not have installed on this machine (unless it's hidden).

The file won't disappear from my temp folder. I've run ATF cleaner a few times, and rebooted, but the file doesn't disappear.

The file description claims that the file was modified in January of this year, and yet, when I search for the file, it doesn't show up anywhere but in this temp folder... and it only started appearing a few days ago...

Anyone have any thoughts on what the heck it might be?

Thanks a million,
D.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:28 AM

Start up in safe mode and try again with ATF. Google did not reveal it is something bad. If you further have no complaints about the performance of your computer than you should be ok.

#3 don_s

don_s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:23 AM

Thanks Fozzie, i'll give it a try...
D.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users