Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ques. about Immunizing, deleting, blocking spyware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Anubis

Anubis

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 28 June 2004 - 06:31 PM

Hello everyone,

I have a question about all this blocking/deleting/immunizing stuff. I have and use Adaware. Spybot and Spyware Blaster and what I dont get is that I run the scans and everytime they find the same three "problems": DSO Exploit, Alexa Related, and Avenue A, I click the Fix problems and then Immunize, what I dont understand is why do these same "problems" appear when I am suppose to be immunized against these "problems"? The same goes for Adaware, it shows the same Cookies : Default@centerport(1).txt and Default@207(1).txt, they go into quarantine and then I delete them, I thought that these were blocking this stuff from getting on the computer. From what I understand, there's an Alexa thats used for Internet Explorer and its suppose to be left, right? So thats one that I dont put a check mark by, I just check the other two. I know I have everything set up correctly, so I dont understand whats happening here. Any insight?

Anubis
Windows 98
Internet Explorer 5,5SP2
Compaq Presario

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,718 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:37 PM

The DSO exploit is a bug and unfortunately it will keep coming back. You can just ignore that.

Alexa related is the realted sites button/option. It is harmless as well.

Avenue A is a large advertiusing company like Doubleclick. Cookies will get placed onto your computer when you visit sites that use that advertising. You can just have those moved.

The immunize features of Spybot and spywareblaster block you from running certain ActiveX programs or downloading files from certain sites. As these are cookies, these programs will not stop this

#3 Anubis

Anubis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2004 - 05:42 PM

Hi Grinler,

Thank you for explaining whats what. I started to feel as though I was missing something. Or that maybe these peograms weren't as good as they were cracked up to be. But, I understand now. Thank you for replying.
Have a good evening!

Anubis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users