Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Violence In Video Games

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 GoTwins

GoTwins

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:24 PM

Alright. So, the recent shootings at Virginia Tech has brought up the discussion of video games and the violence it brings with it. What do you guys think about it? Does it influence kids to do things this serious?

As a gamer myself, it might seem like it's unfair and biased to say it doesn't. Honestly though, I myself play, and know many many others that do so too. Sure, maybe it doesn't effect me as bad, and maybe it's more intense for others then me; but it isn't really games that screw people up. It's what they do AFTER they play games, it's how they take the games they play and what they do after with it. I know theres a bunch of research out there involving this, but when it all comes down to it, it isn't fair to put the blame all on games. Whenever something like this pops up the blame it on video games, and restricting them more.

Just like the concept: guns don't kill people, people kill PEOPLE.

I guess the same goes for video games dont kill people, people kill people.

Let's have a HEALTHY conversation on this, remember, we all have opinions.

-Don

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:46 PM

Normally I do not make requests in topics in the Speak Easy, but I am going to make an exception. Please limit this topic to violence in video games only, and not a platform for gun control, etc.

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:53 AM

There are a lot of studies being done about the connection between violent behavior and violent video games. Some claim there is a connection, others claim there isn't. Some even claim it reduces violent behavior. What's a caring parent to do? Interestingly there is is this one study who says they are all right. Study finds stable personalities unaffected by violent games

The authors propose that gamers fall into two groups: stable personalities, and those with emotional states that are susceptible to being influenced by game play. Within the latter group, the response to violent games largely depends on the emotional states of the gamers when they begin play. Angry gamers will cool off, calm gamers will get agitated. They also note that only two of the cases of rising anger reached levels that would be considered cause for concern, suggesting that dangerous levels of anger were rarely triggered by gaming.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 18 April 2007 - 03:56 AM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:57 AM

IMHO.

Hour upon countless hour spent in an environment of violence and killing would, to me, have to have an influence on one's general outlook.

Of course, in a game, no one actually gets hurt or killed but when that outlook is taken into the real world, somewhere, somehow, some time, something could easily give in a provocative circumstance.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:02 AM

There is an interesting article here.

Violent Video Games: Myths, Facts, and Unanswered Questions
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:03 AM

Interestingly there is is this one study who says they are all right. Study finds stable personalities unaffected by violent games

The authors propose that gamers fall into two groups: stable personalities, and those with emotional states that are susceptible to being influenced by game play.

Interesting.

Wouldn't it seem that most children, teenagers, and maybe even young adults arguably haven't stabilized their personalities and are in "emotional states" that make them susceptible to all sorts of outside influences?

Just wonderin'.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#7 evilmonkeyz

evilmonkeyz

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:44 AM

I see nothing wrong with violence in games tbh, if someone can be influenced by a game/film to recreate what they see, they must have been pretty messed up to start off with, and more then likely would have acted violently at some point.

I just think what people need to remember is that games/films have age restrictions for a reason.
If life gives you lemons you should make lemonade, then find a buddy that life gave him vodka and throw a party!!

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:50 AM

Wouldn't it seem that most children, teenagers, and maybe even young adults arguably haven't stabilized their personalities and are in "emotional states" that make them susceptible to all sorts of outside influences?

Everybody participating in this study was kids. Average age was 14.6 years. It doesn't concerns adults at all.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#9 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:28 AM

I just think what people need to remember is that games/films have age restrictions for a reason.

I agree. It is the role of the parent to teach the child the difference between fantasy and reality. I mean, who buys the games and consoles in the first place? :thumbsup: Used to be, when my Dad bought me a football, he showed me how to throw and catch it.

I played many violent games, but my parents also pointed out that killing on-screen was not the same as killing in life; many different consequences!

Children must be taught! They don't know the Easter Bunny isn't real until someone tells them.
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#10 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:10 PM

In my opinion, I believe everyone is way off with all of this. I play this game called WarRock which is nothing but killing. Somedays I play for hours at a time....the issue is how the average human being VALUES another human-being's life.

Life has been devalued to the point where the person next to you or beside you is meaningless.

The violence in the games I play has no effect on how much I love my wife and my family and how I want to do the right thing in every situation (without questioning what IS right.)

I see no harm in violent games that have a GOAL to accomplish. I agree with the original poster, that the responsibility falls solely on the one doing the killing. Individual responsibility and the VALUE of human life are the 2 most crucial things that NEED to be taught to our kids. Unfortunately, those two elements are scarcely taught.

#11 GoTwins

GoTwins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:10 PM

Evilmonkeyz, I don't think I could have said it better myself. It might be a good thing, or perhaps a bad thing, but violent video games sometimes help "numb" the person to violence. This of course can be very bad, thinking that violence is "okay." At the same time, it can be good, it can maybe teach what is wrong what is right in a sense...like killing obviously might be fun in a game, but in real life it is something entirely different. It's a shame that people have a hard time distinguishing reality from the game...

#12 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:31 PM

I LOVE video games, and violent ones are especially fun, like Halo 2 or Grand Theft Auto. But I actually avoid conflict and violence in real life. This goes against what those video game haters would have you believe, that because I love violent video games, I must be a violent person. Not true. If a person plays violent vgs (video games) and becomes violent, the vgs are not the sole cause. That person was already prone to violence and shouldn't play, but it's impossible to filter the selling of games like this.

It all comes down to a person's decision. I also believe that violent vgs actually help get rid of aggression which is a good thing. Anytime you feel mad, pop in Halo 2 and kill some aliens :thumbsup:. If you choose to kill some real people instead, that's a mental problem that cannot be blamed on vgs.
When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

#13 GoTwins

GoTwins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:46 AM

Exactly. I was having a convo with my friend the other day on the VA tech shootings, and he was telling me how "every person has their personal choice whether or not to shoot them, they all have their own choice." True, but some people don't have the mental "capability," to do it. Capability isn't a good word, but what I'm trying to say is that some people can't control it, the mentally unstable. And those that are unstable and play games are affected probably many many more times likely to do something drastic.

We can't blame and punish the ENTIRE gaming community because of a select few who chose to play the games the wrong way.

#14 Globe Roamer Jeff

Globe Roamer Jeff

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:58 PM

Lots of pros and lot of cons, but one thing for sure... all those hours and hours of playing violent video games hones some players into cold blooded, effective marksmen. That much is for certain.

#15 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:11 PM

Lots of pros and lot of cons, but one thing for sure... all those hours and hours of playing violent video games hones some players into cold blooded, effective marksmen. That much is for certain.

As long as they are aiming with a mouse and a "crosshair" cursor!

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users