Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions About Graphics Cards

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:10 PM

I am looking at installing a graphics card on my Pentium 4/512 MB RAM/1.8Mhz computer, I've never looked at graphics cards before and am on a steep learning curve. If an older type card says that it supports directX 8.1, does that mean it doesn't support directX9 or is that just because 8.1 would have been the latest version when it came out and later versions of directX will work ok? Also, I read something about power supply (can't remember what). Does the card get its power from the motherboard? How do I figure out whether I have sufficient power to run it? And what do I look for to know what pixel shading it has? Thanks.
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:44 PM

Hey tekchallenged,

(1) If it says it supports DirectX 8.1, that is the latest DirectX it supports - so games requiring DirectX 9 for example, will not be able to be played on your card.

(2) Regarding power supply - most of the newer video cards are very power hungry, and as such require additional power supplied directly from the PSU (Power Supply Unit). Low end graphics card will work comfortably with power from the motherboard (i.e. the ATI X800 GT). High end graphics cards (like the nvidia 8800 GTX) need very specific power requirements, including 2 pci-express power cables, a miinimum of 400W and 30Amps on the 12V line. So when buying a card, you really need to take the power requirements into account.
You can look on the side of your existing power supply at the panel printed there to check the existing power, then jump on forums or manufactureres websites to see the card power requirements.

(3) Pixel Shading - well, I don't know too much about it so I won't try to sound smart.... but that is the least of your worries right now...

Based upon the info you provided, I would really look at upgrading your system before you upgraded you video card, and I'm sure someone will back me up on that. Obviously that depends also on what you want to achieve with your PC, and why you are looking at graphics cards... :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:58 AM

(2) Graphics card require power, and if you need a bigger power supply is a exercise in mathematics. Putting a graphics card that needs a lot of power in that old a system would be a waste of money.

(3) If the graphics card only support DirectX 8.1 the shader question is a moot point. It only supports 1.x.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:09 AM

You could probably find a card that supports AGP 4/8x, which is probably what your machine uses.

However, I would not recommend this, as agp seems to be rising in price, and getting harder to find. You would also have to replace the power supply for the newer agp cards, and at this point not cost effective.

I would also say to get a new machine, and then get a kick a$$ graphics card.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:38 AM

Thanks.
The only reason I am looking at getting a graphics card is because I bought some computer games that won't work because they want pixel shading. Otherwise, I don't need or want any fancier graphics or a fancier computer. I'm not looking at getting a new model card which wouldn't go in my computer anyway (I could get a whole new computer for what they seem to cost :thumbsup: ). What I'm looking at is a Radeon 9550 128MB AGP 4x/8x and it is available (there was another type avail. secondhand which only supported DirectX8.1, but I need DirectX9). (My computer has a 4xAGP slot). I just need to understand enough so I don't get stuck with something that isn't right and won't work or that I have to upgrade something else, then upgrade something else, then.... (in which case, I'll forget about playing my games)

Graphics card require power, and if you need a bigger power supply is a exercise in mathematics

But I don't know how to do the maths :huh: - the cards info seems to talk about Hz and the motherboard power talks about watts......

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:15 AM

Try this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130197

#7 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:54 AM

Thanks, but I'm in Australia (and it has to be a skinny one, and that one needs more power than I think I have... :thumbsup: )

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:24 PM

Here's a list of vendors in your area. I know pickings seem slim. I got a friend that lives in NZ
australia online vendors
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:41 PM

Hey again tekchallenged,

Here is one from EYO...

..another from AusPCMarket... (sorry can't provide a direct link, but go to Video Cards, Radeon 9200-9600)

..and a 256Mb one from TechBuy.

I have purchased equipment from all of them in the past, and have had no problems (I too am form the land of Oz)...

:thumbsup:

Edited by JPHarvey, 18 April 2007 - 04:48 PM.

[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#10 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:40 PM

I know pickings seem slim. I got a friend that lives in NZ

:thumbsup: - there are zillions of 'em here in Oz, but the Kiwis may not fare as well :huh: JPHarvey, thanks for the links - I know where I can get it (locally, and cheaper than in those links, as it happens :huh: ), all I'm trying to find out now is whether my computer has enough power to install it without drama.
You said before:

Low end graphics card will work comfortably with power from the motherboard (i.e. the ATI X800 GT)

I think that my question now boils down to - is the one I am looking at a "low end" graphics card and will it install without drama on my computer which has 150 watt power supply (I think)?

#11 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:32 PM

Yes that it low end, however I have a suspision that 150W will be too little. From a little research, ATI recommend a minimum of 300W for that card, however I believe you may possibly get away with 250W. Don't quote me though!
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:39 PM

I should have also said my NZ buddy is very, VERY frugal :thumbsup:
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:23 PM

OOps, its 180 W, not 150.....

#14 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:48 PM

Ouch! you need a new power supply for any graphics card if your supply is only 180 watts. for that card , 300 IS MINIMUM. always go with the manufacturers recommended minimum.

#15 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:10 AM

Ouch! you need a new power supply for any graphics card if your supply is only 180 watts. for that card , 300 IS MINIMUM. always go with the manufacturers recommended minimum.

Well, I would if I could find the information - where have you got it from? I've looked up various manufacturers' sites but can't find where it says. I also found a site which said that the power draw is 17 watts, which isn't much..... but I don't know what the rest of the computer's "gizzards" use.

BTW, ATI's site has a "graphics card" selector which brings up heaps of recommended cards (including a lot of the newer ones) after putting in my system information. It'd be more than a bit annoying to buy the latest and greatest and find that it didn't work..... I wonder why they recommend things that don't seem to be suitable?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users