Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Completely removing all traces of a program?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Zer0_II

Zer0_II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 12 January 2005 - 08:53 PM

I'm wondering how to completely remove all traces of a programs existence on my hard drive. I had a program which was shareware. I uninstalled an older version of the program, and installed a newer version. Now when I run the newer version it recognizes the fact that I had used the program before so it gave me an error that my trial period was over. How would I go about removing al l traces of the programs existence, so that when I try to install it, it will think that it is the first time being installed on my system? I tried running RegSeeker to clean out the registry, CCleaner, and TuneUp Utilities to get rid of all files that aren't necessary anymore, but that hasn't helped. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2005 - 10:36 PM

Spybot Search and Destroy has a shredder function, which overwrites selected files. Another good utility is Eraser by a student in Finland named Tolvanen. Both applications are free.
Hope either of these will get rid of those pesky files.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Zer0_II

Zer0_II
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2005 - 06:45 AM

I have applications to securely delete files. However my problem lies in the fact that I don't know where all the program has left behind files. I know when a program installs itself that it adds registry keys. I tried cleaning out my registry after uninstalling the program, but that didn't help. The application is still detecting old traces of the previous program I had installed, which is what I need to get rid of. I just don't know the location of all the files that I need to delete.

EDIT: I was able to fix my problem..

Edited by Zer0_II, 13 January 2005 - 10:45 AM.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 13 January 2005 - 11:15 AM

How were you able to fix your problem?

The solution, you used, could help out someone else with the same problem.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Zer0_II

Zer0_II
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 02:07 PM

Nevermind. I'm still having the same problem. I'm trying to use TrojanHunter, but whenever I install it and run it it says that the trial period is over. I don't even recall ever using it before. I've tried a variety of different programs and registry tools such as RegSeeker, CCleaner, Registry Trash Keys, TuneUp Utilities, Total Uninstaller, and Ashampoo Uninstaller, but I haven't been able to fix my problem. Perhaps I am doing something wrong. Could someone give me some advice?

#6 psb

psb

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 10:05 PM

This issue is difficult ...hands off

But You can do a few things
Delete the files in the Windows Temp Folder (this is different from Internet Temp Files)
Start>Run.. type in %temp%>Enter>Edit>Select all>File then delete

This is best done in safe mode
Some files may not delete that is no prob...it is probably just because they are in use
It may take awhile depending on if you have ever cleaned these files before
There maybe several hundred
It is safe to delete these file but never delete the Temp folder...just the files in it
The worst that can happen is your computer will run better because it is cleaner
It will find the temp folder for your app if it is there
#2 Look in the Msconfig Start up section & uncheck suspects if any
#3 Delete any Start up items in the Start up Folder
(You stated that you were in the Registry be careful there & always back the Registry up first)
Give us an update soon & good luck

Edited by psb, 05 March 2005 - 10:12 PM.

#7 psb

psb

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2005 - 10:08 PM

If you do find a file that will not delete from your dreaded program
Try this tool
Pocket KillBox
File Description:

Pocket KillBox is a program that can be used to get rid of files that stubbornly refuse to allow you to delete them.

Usage Information:

Download this file, extract it, and run the killbox.exe file. When it loads type the full path to the file you would like to delete in the field and press the Delete File button (looks like a red circle with a white X). It will prompt you to reboot, allow it to do so, and hopefully your file will now be deleted.

#8 Zer0_II

Zer0_II
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2005 - 11:35 AM

I delete all of my temp files on a regular basis, so I know that isn't the problem. Does anyone else know of a solution to this problem?

#9 psb

psb

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2005 - 11:45 AM

I'm not anyone else
but
There is a purpose for what is happening...
if you are now paying...email the "shareware" support :thumbsup:

#10 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2005 - 12:27 PM

I don't think you can remove everything for 100%. I have "Your Uninstaller 2004"
And till now he did uninstall most of cr*ap left over by different programs I was testing, but not everything.
What you could try is a nice little (free) program called RegCleaner 4.3 by Jouni Vuorio. I have it for few years already and I must admit it works better than some expensive competitors. You can download RegCleaner here
Hope that will help you. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#11 Zer0_II

Zer0_II
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2005 - 01:52 PM

I'm not paying for the program. I don't even recall installing it, so I must have done it a long time ago. I'm just trying to get rid of the old traces of the program so that I can run a trial version. Thanks for your advice Notorious. I will try what you said and post back here if it doesn't work.

#12 psb

psb

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2005 - 02:28 PM

I'm not paying for the program. I don't even recall installing it, so I must have done it a long time ago. I'm just trying to get rid of the old traces of the program so that I can run a trial version. Thanks for your advice

Zer0_II wrote
I uninstalled an older version of the program, and installed a newer version. Now when I run the newer version it recognizes the fact that I had used the program before so it gave me an error that my trial period was over. How would I go about removing al l traces of the programs existence, so that when I try to install it, it will think that it is the first time being installed on my system?

Oh? the quoted part confused me.. I really did not care ..it was not my business
Just noting what a trial is about...but you knew that too
======================
Notorious
Posted a great program...There is a section for removing items from previous installs
===========================
Zer0_II
Just taking my time to try & help you
Sorry I did not...Good luck

Edited by psb, 06 March 2005 - 02:33 PM.

#13 Zer0_II

Zer0_II
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2005 - 02:39 PM

It's okay psb. I appreciate the fact that you are willing to try and help me. I tried using Regcleaner. It was only able to find 4 registry entries. I deleted one of them. The other 3 were either unsafe to delete or the program couldn't identify them. I didn't see any sign that they were created by TrojanHunter though.

Edited by Zer0_II, 06 March 2005 - 02:49 PM.

#14 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 07 March 2005 - 12:25 AM

For problems with TrojanHunter, you should post on their support forum board:
http://forum.misec.net/

The program's developer, Magnus, is the most responsive of any I've run across and there are some others there that are very helpful. If you had never installed TrojanHunter before there may just be a problem with your download. However, if you have tried to redownload and reinstall, you may be out of luck for the trial version. If I remember correctly they won't let you know how to defeat the disabling of it cause they have no way of knowing if you are trying to crack it or not. So you may be out of luck anyway without paying for it.

It's a good program tho. I use it.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#15 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2005 - 08:40 AM

Just a suggestion. Have you ever checked out a-squared (aČ) Free? I can not comment on whether or not it is as good a program as TrojanHunter. But it is a great program none the less.

a-squared (aČ) Free

News in a-squared Free:

The scanner was extended with some new features. In addition to the harddrive check you can now optionally scan the memory for malware too. Beside the signature scan which includes more than 90,000 references, the new heuristic scan allows you to scan for unknown malware without using signatures. From now on, you are protected much better than before against Trojans, Worms, Dialers and Spyware/Adware.

a-squared (aČ) is a complementary product to antivirus software and desktop firewalls on MS Windows computers. Antivirus software specializes in detecting classic viruses. Many available products have weaknesses in detecting other malicious software (Malware) like Trojans, Dialers, Worms and Spyware (Adware). aČ fills the gap that malware writers exploit.

Trojans
Trojan Horses or Backdoors open your PC from the inside to attackers. Once a trojan is installed, someone can take full control of your computer. Most trojans are delivered via email and just previewing the email can activate the trojan. aČ currently detects around 50,000 trojans.

Dialers

Dialers are small programs which reconfigure your dial-up number to a premium rate number. If you use a dial-up modem to connect to your isp you are at risk. Premium rate numbers can cost you hundreds in just a few days! aČ detects and blocks dialers immediately when they try to dial.

Worms
Worm-Viruses are the most wide spread hazard on the internet. Worms arrive as emails with harmful attachments. If you open an attachment the worm will then copy and send itself to as many other computers as possible, damaging yours and your friend's systems. aČ detects worms on your PC and removes them before they can do any damage.

Spyware
Your personal data and your habits are a goldmine for some advertising companies who seek to infiltrate your computer. Often you are not aware that a spyware program has been downloaded. This software can collect personal information about you and your internet habits, change your home page and even stop you going to some websites! aČremoves Spyware programs from your computer.

integrates itself in the Windows Explorer so you can scan a folder's contents simply via the right-click context menu. This is recommended for files which are downloaded from the internet

Edited by scarlett, 07 March 2005 - 08:43 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users