Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repairing The Os

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Melfra

Melfra

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:37 PM

My friend's computer got nailed by SpyLocked, so like any good person would, I directed him to smitfraudfix to help him out. He followed the directions and all, but when he tried to restart, ended up with an "autochk not found" error, and ended up locked in a deathloop. We found his XP CD and tried reinstalling, but we're kind of stuck on what to do. He's got some things in his My Documents folder that he'd prefer not losing, but when it came time to chose where to install it, we couldn't chose to create a new partition, and we don't know what'd happen if we overwrote the windows folder, since it states that the My Documents (and other like folders) may be deleted. Does anyone have any advice or know anything else about this?

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 17 April 2007 - 05:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 biszeemom

biszeemom

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:44 PM

I have been hit with the spylock as well. I did the smitfraudfix thing and cannot get my computer to boot up at all. I think you called it the deathloop.

I will be keeping an eye here to see what replaies you get because I have two programs and My Documents that I can't lose.

Good luck,
Liz :thumbsup:

#3 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:56 PM

Can either of you go into safe mode on your PCs? Try it by starting the computer and pressing F8. Let me know if you successfully go into safe mode.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#4 Melfra

Melfra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:11 PM

Can either of you go into safe mode on your PCs? Try it by starting the computer and pressing F8. Let me know if you successfully go into safe mode.

Going into safe mode results in the same autochk restart loop (although the loop was basically because he had the computer set to restart whenever it encountered an error :thumbsup: )

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:06 PM

Try this:
1) Click the link below and save PTEDIT.ZIP to your desktop

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/tools/pq/utilities/ptedit.zip

2) Create a bootable MS-DOS disk for Windows

In Windows XP
  • Place a blank floppy disk in Drive A
  • Open My Computer
  • Right-click on Drive A (floppy drive)
  • Click on Format
  • Check the box for "Create an MS-DOS Startup Disk"
  • Click Start
  • Click OK to the warning about formattting the disk will erase all data
  • Click Ok to Format Complete
  • Close the Format Disk window
3) Copy PTEDIT to the floppy disk
  • Double-click on the PTEDIT.ZIP file you downloaded to the desktop
  • Right-click on PTEDIT.EXE and click on Copy
  • Open My Computer
  • Double-click on Drive A
  • Click on Edit
  • Click on Paste
4) Remove the disk from the floppy drive and place it in the floppy drive of the problem computer

5) Turn on the power to the problem computer and allow it to boot to from the floppy drive. Make sure the BIOS in your computer is set to boot from the floppy drive first.

6) At the A:\> prompt, type the following

PTEDIT and press Enter

7) You'll be presented with "Power Quest Partition Table Editor" screen. The key is to look in the first column of the table under Type. The number here should generally be 07 (hex), meaning the partition is an "Installable File System", in other words a bootable drive. If its anything else its not bootable.

Using your tab key, tab down to the Type box and hold down ALT + T to open the Set Type menu, then with your keyboard arrow, select 07, tab down to Ok and press Enter

8) Hold down ALT + S to Save Changes to the partition table and then Press CTRL +C to exit out of the program.

9) Reboot your computer and it should now boot normally into Windows.

Credit: This answer is from PC Hell

#6 Melfra

Melfra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:29 PM

Thanks for the help, Amazing Andrew, but I have a question for you. Would something like this still keep data intact?

Ah, and one more thing. Could a disk made from one computer work on another? Say, if I followed this on my PC and gave him the floppy?

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,540 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:13 PM

Guys hang in there. There is a known bug that was found in SmitFraudFix program and the developer is working on a fix for it. Please be patient. I will notify this topic when we have a resolution.

Hope to have an answer tomorrow.

#8 Dracomancer

Dracomancer

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:33 AM

I have run into the same problem. Is there any way to do this with out a floppy drive? The system that has crashed only has a CD drive available and I cannot find my system disk for it.

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,540 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:57 PM

Unfortunately it looks like you may need to do a reinstall. The developer of the program has come up with a fix that is quite advanced to perform. I will post it in a bit so you can decide what you want to do.

The antimalware community is trying to develop a better fix but we are running into roadblocks with the tools available. I will post the solution in a bit.

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,540 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:00 PM

Current fix outlined here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/89339/problems-starting-your-computer-after-running-older-version-of-smitfraudfix/

#11 Dracomancer

Dracomancer

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:34 PM

6) At the A:\> prompt, type the following

PTEDIT and press Enter

7) You'll be presented with "Power Quest Partition Table Editor" screen. The key is to look in the first column of the table under Type. The number here should generally be 07 (hex), meaning the partition is an "Installable File System", in other words a bootable drive. If its anything else its not bootable.

Using your tab key, tab down to the Type box and hold down ALT + T to open the Set Type menu, then with your keyboard arrow, select 07, tab down to Ok and press Enter

8) Hold down ALT + S to Save Changes to the partition table and then Press CTRL +C to exit out of the program.

9) Reboot your computer and it should now boot normally into Windows.

Credit: This answer is from PC Hell

Does any one know if this process will work with out loss of data??
I have been able to vulture a floppy drive that I can attach to the broken machine.
Please advise as soon as possible.

#12 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:34 AM

The fix outlined in post number 5 will not work. Use the fix Linked in post #10. That has been tested and will work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users