Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java and other problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ataryu

Ataryu

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 28 June 2004 - 06:09 PM

I have downloaded and updated java several times and it still acts like I don't have it. I know I have it enabled for my browser because I enabled it under the control panel, but it still doesn't work. And I don't know much about firewalls but would I know if I have one? Or could my ISP have one setup with me out knowing it, and if so how do I customize the settings. Also, when I try to Direct Connect with people over AIM it usually doesn't work, it says im trying to connect but then it never does. That happens like everytime and I was just wondering if anyone knew why?

Thanks for your help ")

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:40 PM

Do you have a router on your internet connection? If so that is probably acting as a firewall. A firewall could also be a piece of software like Zone Alarm.

It is also possible for your ISP, actually most likely they do, to have a firewall between you and the Internet that is blocking certain ports.

If you do have a firewall then the direct connect option will probably not work as the firewall is blocking it

#3 Ataryu

Ataryu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2004 - 07:39 PM

No I don't have a router I don't believe, lol. Just a modem box. Is there anyway I can customize the firewall settings my ISP has setup? Im using comcast, and not being able to DC can be nerve racking sometimes. I downloaded Mozilla and istalled it and java is working fine, so I guess it was a problem with netscape.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,540 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2004 - 09:21 PM

When you say a modem box, what do you mean? What is the make and model of the modem box?

There is no way to customize the ISP's firewall settings.

#5 Ataryu

Ataryu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2004 - 11:28 PM

It's an RCA modem that comcast gave me to connect and use there service.

Model#: DCM315

It has the cable connected to it, and then another cable running to my computer. I believe its connected to my telnet card, its not USB. I'm sure im using the right names. Telnet card is the one that has the phone jack looking thing on it right? lol. Thats what it is connected to.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,540 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2004 - 10:58 AM

The 615 version has a firewall built into it, but there does not seem to be any info on the site about whether the 315 has it or not. You should call the isp and find out if that particular model has a built in firewall.

Also check if you are using the built in firewall for xp.

Information about that firewall can be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...showtutorial=40

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users