Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Registry Repair Software Recommended?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GabiMarc

GabiMarc

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:47 AM

Hello.

My PC is running Windows XP SP2 and I have AV, Firewall, and spyware software.

Someone in my office told me that she uses "registry repair software," called XP Repair Pro to clean up the registry on her PC.

Can anyone say if this sort of software is recommended? I know nothing about the Registry except that it's very important and I would not want to create a problem in my own computer.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:51 AM

Unless you have some specific problem that is caused by invalid registry entries it's probably best not to use any registry cleaning software. For the minimal benefit they offer you can seriously mess up your computer if you don't know what you're doing. If you do feel the need to clean your registry make sure you back it up first, and make sure you know how to restore it using this backup.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:57 AM

Basicly the thing is, if you do not know what you are doing inside the registry, you have to stay away from it. The registry is a vital part of your PC and poking around with it (could) will destroy it. Important is that you backup the registry . How to back up , edit, and restore the registry in Windows XP

Is there a reason why you want to clean up the registry, for instance because of requent install/uninstall of programs?

There is one tool which is relatively safe which Ccleaner. Please adhere strict to the below instructions

Download install and update Ccleaner
Attention : the installation package comes with the Yahoo toolbar
if you do not want that you have to, untick the box accepting it during installation process.

After installing and updating go to options - advanced and tick prompt for registry back ups
Now Start up in safe mode
Do two runs

1) Click on problems and tick all. Click on analyse. At the end you will be prompted for storing a backup.
This will be stored, as a default, in My documents.
2) Click on cleaner click on analyse and accept all files to be removed.

With the backup created by Ccleaner you allways can restore it when something terrible goes wrong see ther above Microsoft article. If you do not feel secure about deleting either entries and/or registry entres you allways can post them here and we can have a look at it.

#4 GabiMarc

GabiMarc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:07 AM

Thank you both very much. I thought I would get the type of replies you have both provided to me.

As a matter of fact, I have done quite a bit of installing/removing programs within the past 2 months as I've been testing different AntiVirus and Firewall software ("trials").

And, I have noticed that my pc has slowed down. But I have removed every program I have installed before testing a new one.

Another question: can you say if the Add/Remove utility on Windows is sufficient to COMPLETELY remove installed software?

Thank you again.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:10 AM

Repeated use of a registry cleaner can damage your sytem. I only recommend it in situations where there's a problem that relates to a registry issue - and then only sparingly (I've had several problems with them myself).

The best registry cleaners are the one's that make you decide what to remove and what to keep - that way if your system is hosed, it's your own fault :thumbsup:

I prefer the Microsoft registry cleaner because it comes from the folks who know the most about the registry. It's available as a free, online scan here: http://safety.live.com

That being said, I've suffered registry problems from the earlier versions of the Microsoft RegClean program - so I wouldn't use this on a regular basis either. No more than once every 6 months or more.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:15 AM

When you uninstall a program,more or less a registry is left behind after an installation
when this reaches a high no.,your PC becomes slow
the Add/Remove programs coudn't do that since as mentioned here
this is when Registry cleaners take action
but i only use registry cleaners every month
Important notice:Dont forget to backup your registry when you change it :thumbsup:

Edited by Commander Gman, 17 April 2007 - 07:19 AM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#7 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:17 AM

As a matter of fact, I have done quite a bit of installing/removing programs within the past 2 months as I've been testing different AntiVirus and Firewall software ("trials").

And, I have noticed that my pc has slowed down. But I have removed every program I have installed before testing a new one.

There will allways be remnants on your system since antivirus and firewallprograms dig deep in your system.

Did you try for instance Norton? Here you can find Norton Removal Tool.

So yes your PC could slow down from installing/uninstalling safety products certainly if they are not copletely removed.

Another question: can you say if the Add/Remove utility on Windows is sufficient to COMPLETELY remove installed software?

No you can not say that. For a larger part of the antivirus and firewall programs there are special removal tools like for Norton

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:21 AM

If you're concerned about the complete removal of the software and it's registry entries, then you probably should be monitoring what the software does when it installs on the system .

The last freeware version of Total Uninstall will let you do this: http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/util/uninst.html

It generates a log file that will tell you what it's able to uninstall - and what you'll have to do manually. Some of the manual removal stuff will be pretty hard to remove due to issues with permissions - but in the end you'll have a much cleaner registry, a greater knowledge of the registry, and a more in-depth understanding of file permissions, ownership, and ACL's.

Edited by usasma, 17 April 2007 - 07:21 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:21 AM

If you have McAfee products there is also a tool to completely remove those programs
even Microsoft Office Xp i think...

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#10 GabiMarc

GabiMarc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:29 PM

Thank you all very much. I appreciate your valuable advise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users