Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I cannot connect the computers on my LAN

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 12 January 2005 - 07:05 PM

Hi all
I have a home network consisting of 12 computers. 2 for me, 1 for my wife, 3-1for each kid, and for general use(kid's friends, family, visitors,etc.). My intranet it routed with a Linksys NR401, a 3Com SS II 24 port hub, a print server, and a cable modem 4Mb/768kb. All computers are Dell OptiPlex GX1 PIII-500 with 512MB Ram. 11 are running Windows Me wth all updates, and 1 running XP Pro sp2 .
I want to monitor the other computers and maintance them from my XP machine without them having access to me. Also is there a way to lock out a computer manually or automatic (preset time in\out) to control the kids access. I caught one slipping online at 1 am.
Is this practical or would I need to attent classes at the local collage.

Thank you for any help John Braud
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 matt_com911

matt_com911

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 14 January 2005 - 05:08 PM

For the type of system administration you're talking about, and with the number of computers on your network, I would suggest installing a server, which is a central point in a network (if you can afford it). This would allow users to access their files/folders/settings on any computer around your household - and restrict certain users if the need be. In this way, you may set your own account to Administrator, and the accounts of your children to Limited.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 06:54 PM

Thanks for the post Matt. I do have an old P-III 500 w/ 1 gb ram. I also have a copy of Windows NT sp6. I tried to configure it but it was a little over my head. I guess I just need to bare down and make it work. Thanks again Matt.

Acklan

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2005 - 12:13 AM

Hi all
Well I can see and access all the computers on my intranet. I had to make a network floppy on my XP computer . I have another question . When the computers were set they installed each others printer info as if the were the computer hooked directly to the printers. As I have stated the printers are hooked up via a print server. When I turned the print share in Network Properties off and deleted the entreies this seemed to solve the problem. The Question. Is this normal or is there an underlying problem? Just thought.

Acklan

#5 matt_com911

matt_com911

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 17 January 2005 - 12:13 AM

It's not uncommon to have to configure some settings when you initially set up a server based network, as the settings beforehand are for your old network. As for an easy way to monitor network usage (ie internet at 1am)

http://www.download.com/Net-Monitor-for-Em...ml?tag=lst-0-12

may be helpful. It states it's for employees, but it has other uses as well. :thumbsup: . Hope I have helped.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2005 - 12:26 AM

Thanks for the link. I found a program @ www.realvnc.com that allowed me to get a little closer to my goal. Atleast now I can work on the other computers from mind. And I can also monitor what the kids are doing passively. Thanks for the link once again. I'm going to check it out right now.

Acklan

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 04:08 AM

Well Matt I think I worked out the access problem. I am using RealVNC to remotely manage the other computers.
I found iProtectYou controls the times the kids are online very effectly.Plus it has a bunch of other neat features I am going to play with.
The last is Core Control. It allows me to lock down the computer and much more , The main feature I like is I can block downloads and installations. I'm sure for most of you this is old hat , but it is new for me and I just want to share. Well I guess thats all. I'll list the three programs below.

************************DISCLAMER********************************

While I am disclosing these link to everyone . I am not promoting them. Use them at your own risk. These programs are a work around for me and as such I am just sharing my experince with you . Good luck :thumbsup:

1) System & Control Lock.
Core Control 2.0

2) Remotely control other computers via internet/intranet.
RealVNC Free Edtion

3) Time access, port & URL blocking, and Pron blocking.
iProtectYou 3.01

Item 2 & 3 have paid versions but the freebies appear to work quite nice. Have fun and be careful.

acklan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users