Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 1337hamster

1337hamster

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:09 AM

My computer has been acting strangely lately. I have Norton but it never picks up any viruses or spyware on the scans. A few weeks ago, it did pick up something called 'VirusBurst', which I put into quarantine, with the intention of removing it manually myself, because I've heard that Norton usually doesn't actually get rid of the virus. A while later, my Yahoo toolbar mysteriously was uninstalled from my Internet Explorer. Today, my desktop background changed to this blue striped wallpaper I have never seen before and when I go to the display options, it says that the name of the new wallpaper is called 'Internet Explorer' or something. Before that, I had the wallpaper called Energy Blue (or something along those lines), and it also disappeared from the desktop display menu. I ran a virus scan with Norton, and nothing turned up, then I used system restore to restore my computer to Sunday, when it was acting relatively normal. Is this a virus or spyware? I'm afraid that somebody is accessing my computer remotely and changing things without my knowledge, and I'm worried that they could get personal information. I have made it impossible for others to access my computer physically, so I don't know how they would gain access to it otherwise. Is this a known virus? What would be the best way to find out what is causing this and to rid my computer of it? I've heard that Norton isn't very good at protecting from viruses and usually doesn't get rid of them. Can someone recommend a good anti-virus/anti-spyware program that will actually pick up on these problems?

Thanks in advance for any advice

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:14 AM

Do you have any anti-spyware programs?

I think you should install and scan with some, if not all, of the following free antispyware programs:

AVG Antispyware
SuperAntiSpyware
Spybot
AdAware
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:23 AM

There might be some remnants left.

How To Remove Virusburst (removal Instructions)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users