Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tzvii

Tzvii

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:04 AM

I got a new motherboard because my last one started smoking and stuff, and now my computer will not start.
When I try to turn it on, it doesn't even seem like it's trying to start. No fans turn on, not even for a second. No beeps, lights, nothing. I have tried swapping in a new power supply, but still nothing. I have checked all my connections, but they all are right.
The next logical thing that might be bad is the processor. But even with a dead processor, wouldn't it try to start up? The computer is acting like it is getting no power to it at all.

I'm pretty much out of ideas here. If someone thinks they know something that would help, please post!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:55 AM

What's the make/model of the new motherboard (and the CPU)? Some newer motherboards need a 4-pin power connector in addition to the larger 20 or 24 pin connector.

#3 Tzvii

Tzvii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:42 AM

Mobo: Gigibyte DS3
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300

The motherboard is the same model as before, I was still under warranty so I just got it replaced.
There is a 4 pin connector right above the CPU, labeled ATX_12V also. I have it connected.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:04 PM

It sounds to me like the motherboard is bad. Even with a bad CPU, it should still power up and such. So, unless in turns out that it's not plugged in (this has happened to me, :thumbsup: so double check!) I'd say you need to contact the manufacturerer for (another) replacement.

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:06 PM

Take the motherboard out of the case and try starting it, with only the essentials plugged in, on a non-conductive surface.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:26 PM

Ah, yes, I forgot that step!

#7 Tzvii

Tzvii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:11 PM

Take the motherboard out of the case and try starting it, with only the essentials plugged in, on a non-conductive surface.

Wow, I feel like a retard! That worked!! Thank you so much!
Was something shorting out on the case or something? Did I just install it bad?

#8 Tzvii

Tzvii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:40 PM

Wow, I feel like a retard! That worked!! Thank you so much!
Was something shorting out on the case or something? Did I just install it bad?

The mobo wasn't shorting out on the case. One of the front usbs was shorting. Just clipped the wires for it, and works great. Thanks alot everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users