Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tweakui Trap For A Doofuss Like Me

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dfence

dfence

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:59 PM

I'm posting this as a warning to other novices (like myself) who may have recently got a hold of the Microsoft TweakUI for XP. It serves as a warning to clearly think before you act lol !

My PC has only one user, me. and as such does not boot up to the windows welcome screen where you simply select the name of the user you would wish to log on as. My PC bypasses this step and boots straight to my desktop. With this in mind whilst i scanned through all the lovely useful options within the TweakUI interface i naturally "UNCHECKED" the box under the logon section which says "Show (yourname) on Welcome Screen". BIG MISTAKE !!!!
Upon rebooting XP now went to the welcome screen with a nice polite message asking me to select a name to log on and begin. Well..... there were no names.....and no way of logging on, suddenly the grip of panic overcame me and no matter how many times i tried to reboot and press random blank spaces on this welcome screen nothing was going to let me get around it.

As there are literally hundreds of good information sites that list XP tweaks and tips i was unable to readily track an exact entry as to how to circumnavigate the issue i created. The only way is to boot into safe mode thus bypassing the windows logon page and going straight to the desktop. To boot into safe mode press the F8 key after your memtest has run and bios has loaded, and select "safe mode" from your screen of options

From here, select start, programs, powertoys for windowsXP, TweakUI. Now go to the "logon" tab and check the box for " Show (yourname) on Welcome Screen ". You may even wish to choose the Autologon also, you'll find this treed under the logon heading. Hit apply and then reboot your PC, you will now have names again from which to logon at the welcome screen.

It was at this site i learned of how to get into "safe mode", google got me what i wanted straight up for a change lol ! Oh and praise be to laptops as back-up PC's or i'd probably still be ringing Microsoft help
I'm not as think as you drunk I am

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:05 PM

Topic title - "Tweakui Trap For A Doofuss Like Me"

I believe you may have uncovered a bug in TweakUI -

there is no "Doofuss" on/off box!

:thumbsup:

Seriously, glad you got it worked out.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:41 AM

You could have also simply pressed Control + Alt + Delete twice at the Welcome screen to bring up the classic logon box. That way, you could have just typed in your user name!

#4 dfence

dfence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:44 PM

You could have also simply pressed Control + Alt + Delete twice at the Welcome screen to bring up the classic logon box. That way, you could have just typed in your user name!

See now this is what i'm talking about ! Ways to de-doofuss ! Thanks for the tip Andrew ;)
I'm not as think as you drunk I am

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users