Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card Cooling Help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:48 PM

My graphics card has been having some problems lately and I have decided its due to heat. Tonight for instance I was playing games for an hour or two and decided to open my case. I put my hand to feel the air being blown by my graphics cards fan and it was extremely hot. After leaving my case opened for 10 minutes, I felt the air and it was much cooler.

So I'm thinking maybe a PCI slot fan will help it out? My graphics card (Red thing) is right next to a empty spot with just a bracket, but no pci slot. I figure the fan will suck in the heat from the graphics card immediately as it comes out. This will prevent the hot air from just sitting in the case. Will this work this way, and help? I was looking at the ones on newegg.com. If anyone has any experiences with these please give me feedback, Thanks!

Here's a picture of my computer.

Posted Image
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:30 PM

As long as you set the fan in the case, facing upwards it should help.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:32 PM

Mate, you are probably better off getting an aftermarket cooler for your card first. Arctic Cooling make great coolers. I had an X800GTO and was getting the VPU recovery (which I figured was from overheating). Whacked on the ATI 4 rev 2 and no more problems.

I believe you have an X1300 (according to your sig), and looking at ArcticCooling website, you need the Accelero S2. Most PC shops stock them, or can at least get them in.

It would be well worth the investment. If you still have dramas, I would go get a slot cooler, and lastly a ventilated side/side mounted case fan....

Let us know how you go! ;)
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:39 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention that that is a passive cooler, and you would need the "Turbo Module" to bump up the cooling ability...Don't ask me where to find that though.... :thumbsup:
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#5 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:20 PM

Yeah, from reports I've heard PCI fan cards can get quite noisy. An aftermarket cooler might be a bit better. For my X700. I bought a Zalman fan and it's currently silent and working great.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:30 PM

We are talking about the cpu heat sink that can be replaced by an actual cooler

you would have to remove the shroud (green thing) so that the fans would not conflict with each other.

I still dont like the Dell cooling solution for the Pentium 4s. All the ones that I have seen seem to run to hot.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:01 AM

I looked all over the internet and can't find anywhere that sell that cooler, JPHarvey. Does anyone know where I can get one.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#8 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:57 PM

Good point Sterling, nor could I, except for one Aussie shop which don't do the whole international thing...

You may have to go for one of these Zalman coolers. They are just as good, if not better in some instances, than AC coolers... :thumbsup:
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users