Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Vista To Install

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 kmart812

kmart812

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:05 PM

i am planning on buying a new laptop and am not sure which Vista i should install. i am planning on upgrading to 1GB of memory, and i do not know if that will be enough to run the new Aero feature........ will i have enough RAM to run Premium with 1GB, or should i stick with Basic?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:12 PM

On a new PC, notebook or desktop, running Vista, I'd recommend 1G RAM as a minimum. Make sure it is upgradable to 2G at a minimum, too.

Otherwise, there's more differences between Vista Basic and other versions than just whether it will run Aero, although Aero does look cool.

Here's a website explaining and showing those differences: Winsupersite - Vista Product Editions.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 kmart812

kmart812
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:34 PM

if i have windows vista home premium installed, how much RAM am i going to be left with for use when using the Aero feature

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:42 PM

The RAM that Aero uses is video RAM.

If the new system has Vista Premium on it, then it has enough video RAM to run it, obviously.

In general, if the new system is using "shared" RAM, meaning the video is using a portion of that 1G system RAM, then it will use that RAM whether Aero is turned on or not.

#5 kmart812

kmart812
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:56 PM

ok so in your opinion, do u think that 1GB will be enough to run premium and still have fast performance?

#6 kmart812

kmart812
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:59 PM

here better yet i will give u the specs of the laptop i am planning to buy....... tell me if u think it will work....

dell inspiron 1501
AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-50
1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm
60GB Hard Drive

do u think that will be good for vista premium?

#7 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:13 PM

dell inspiron 1501
AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-50
1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm
60GB Hard Drive

What about your Video RAM? You should have a minimum of 128MB, with 2 or more pixel shader and capable of running DirectX 10. But again, if Dell is providing you with a pre-installed Home Premium, then it will obviously meet the requirements including the Aero feature.

Also, I would try for a 100GB Hard drive or more especially if you download photos, movies and music.

I have a Dell Dimension 5150 which I bought in June 2006 with XP Pro. It came with 1GB of RAM but I added 2 more 512MB sticks, to make it 2GB. I also bought a Vista compatible Video card with 512MB ram just in case I want to do some high end gaming. :huh:

As soon as my firewall program comes with a Vista compatible version, I'll be wiping the drive and going to Home Premium, fresh install.

Happy computer huntin'! :huh:

#8 kmart812

kmart812
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:18 PM

well teh included video card is as follows:

ATI RADEON® Xpress1150 256MB HyperMemory™ (Integrated)

so you think that will be sufficient?

#9 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:18 PM

ok so in your opinion, do u think that 1GB will be enough to run premium and still have fast performance?

Speed, as they say, is relative.

At that price point, you can't expect blazing, high-end performance.

You will be able to upgrade the RAM in that notebook in the future, and, don't forget, Vista's ReadyBoost will allow you to use some USB flash drives as additional system RAM, speeding up the OS a little.

If you aren't doing anything that is heavily RAM intensive and don't have a lot of programs using up RAM in background, you should be OK, again, considering that price point.

#10 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:24 PM

well teh included video card is as follows:

ATI RADEON® Xpress1150 256MB HyperMemory™ (Integrated)

so you think that will be sufficient?

I'm actually using that ATI in my Gateway notebook, with the TL-52 CPU and 2 G RAM. I'm getting what would be called "middle of the road" performance, which I feel is acceptable considering my cost, too.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:39 PM

FWIW - the hard drive is pretty small, I've got a 60 gB hard drive in my laptop and it's about 1/2 full - no music or videos.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 kmart812

kmart812
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:04 PM

i have been watching reviews of vista on youtube and have been seeing a lot of negative feedback...... i am now second guessing whether or not i should install vista or XP......... anyone have advice?

#13 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:35 AM

Personally, I prefer Vista over XP as I haven't had many problems especially related to drivers and all my programs at least work. If you can afford it, I suggest getting the XPS laptop at the cheapest price and getting at least 2GB of RAM and upgrade the video card. The XPS unlike the Inspiron notebook allows for a dedicated graphics card which will increase performance with Vista.

3939.png

#14 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:18 AM

i have been watching reviews of vista on youtube and have been seeing a lot of negative feedback...... i am now second guessing whether or not i should install vista or XP......... anyone have advice?

Yes, ignore the naysayers unless the problem specifically refers to software you may have to run or hardware that you have.

Even then, check to make sure that what the person is saying is a problem really is. For example, they may not have the current drivers for a video card, and they are complaining that Vista won't run.

I would say that unless you have a compelling reason not to run Vista, why not use it since is will only improve, just as XP did? Remember, people were saying those exact same things about XP when it first came out. If we had all listened to them, we'd still be running Win 98se, or Me. (Even though some still are, they can't run some of the newest software, so they are having similar problems to some Vista folks waiting for Vista capable versions of programs.)

Those of us that have been around PCs for years will remember these same things being said about newer versions of DOS, the original version of Windows, then W95, etc., etc., etc.

#15 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:59 AM

What you will want to do is make a list of all the software you wish to install. Then go to the vender's website or google the product to find it. See if they have a Vista compatible version. If so, then download these software's if possible and burn everything to a CD or DVD.

Then, when you get your Vista computer (probably pre-installed), you will do the following in this order

1) Make sure Vista firewall is on.
2) Install your Antivirus, update it and make sure it is always running in the background, autoupdates, and loads at startup (Do NOT go on the internet until this is done).
3) Go to Windows update and get all the updates.
4) Install the latest Java Runtime, ver 6, update 1 (essential software to view many web pages).
5) Get Flashplayer & Shockwave Player. If you plan to install Firefox, I think, there's specific versions of these softwares for that browser.
6) Install all your security apps including Firewall (turn off Vista firewall, if you're going to use a 3rd party firewall), anti-spyware and standalone scanners like Ad-Aware, Spybot. Update them and run scans.
7) Install all your remaining Vista Compatible software.
8) Go through your hardware and see if there are any specific driver updates for your system. You can also do this through your computer manufacturer's website.

Take any negative reviews of Vista with a grain of salt....many of the complainers either have incompatible software, drivers, insufficient RAM or hardware or they are on the "learning curve" and are too impatient.

I remember when I went from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95. I hated 95 since it was so different than 3.1. However, after I got used to it, I loved it.

:huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users