Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have Ip Address But Not Internet Access

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mojo3981

mojo3981

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 02:53 PM

Ok, So I am fixing a computer for a friend. The problem she has is that her computer will not get onto the internet for her. I did a full cleanup on her computer and finally have the computer recieving an IP address. The problem now is that I still cannot access the internet, web browsing bring up nothing, if I try and ping an url or IP address in command prompt I time out. I cannot figure out for the life of me what is wrong. I have tried everything I can think of, winsock fix, virus scan, adware, spyware. I did a windows repair and swapped network cards to make sure that wasn't the culprit. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should try next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:52 PM

When you say you cleaned the computer...... what did you actually do?
Did you remove any malware/spyware? what programs did you use?
Have you tried this.......
Go to Start -> Control Panel, and choose Network Connections. Then right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and left click on properties. Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item and select the radio button that says Obtain DNS servers automatically. Click OK twice, and restart your computer.
It's just a thought.

BBPP6nz.png

#3 mojo3981

mojo3981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:04 PM

Starbuck,

I ran multiple virus, spyware, and adware scans from UBCD4Win. I did find various instances of each. I ran AntiVir, SpyBot, Adaware, aSquared, Dr. Web Cure It, Avast. I do cleanups all of the time and they are usually pretty straight forward.

Already tried your suggestion, but thanks for at least getting back to me.

#4 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:14 PM

Hi mojo
How is the modem connected to the pc?
Is it by 'ethernet' or 'usb'? If it's usb, it could just be a driver problem. You may have to uninstall the drivers and then reinstall them.
Also... have you contacted the isp to get them to run a check on the modem?

Edited by Starbuck, 18 April 2007 - 02:15 PM.

BBPP6nz.png

#5 mojo3981

mojo3981
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:17 PM

Starbuck,

Thanks for all your help. After digging around through all the hard stuff, I went basic. I looked at all the firewall settings and realized that someone or something must have changed a bunch of the settings. The computer was set to lockdown (no internet access). So simple I didn't even think of it.

Thanks for your help though. Good to see people are willing to help

Mojo3981

#6 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:47 PM

No problem at all mojo
Thx for letting us know what the problem was. :thumbsup:

BBPP6nz.png

#7 smithers1222

smithers1222

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:27 PM

hi i have a similar problem to mojo, but not only can i not access the internet, i can't start my firewall or the ICS service.. there seems to be no problem with the modem or router because two other computers on my network have no problem accessing the internet...Any help greatly appreciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users