Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unsolicited Pop-ups, Browser Crashes And More...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dr_Horse

Dr_Horse

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:04 AM

Hey guys, just moved in with some mates and I'm trying to sort out their computer for them as it has been running slowly, but over the past couple of days a few more symptoms have arisen and I'm hoping you can help me get rid of them.

It's a year old Compaq with WinXP home edition 2002 with service pack 2. We have Internet Explorer 6 as our only online browser. All of the symptoms I will list below dissapear when I run the computer in safe mode.

Symptoms -

(as of a couple of weeks ago) Desktop is littered with copies of seemingly random files and folders that are normally found elsewhere on the hard drive. Some .dll files, some folders, some .exe files.

(as of a week ago) Iexplorer will hang for 30 seconds to 1 minute when it is launched. The homepage is google.com. Occasionally it locks up completely and the system has to be restarted. As of this morning explorer hangs permanently every time it is launched.

(as of 15 hours ago) Some webpages display as "cannot find server" when I know for a fact there is nothing wrong with the page I am trying to view. Which pages Iexplorer will open normally and which display this message seems to be completely random, but it is the same pages every time. All of these pages load fine when viewed in safe mode.

Pop-up adverts appear in their own browser windows for various products and services including WinAnti-VirusPro 2007 and yourdebts.co.uk.

Any attempts to update any AV or anti-spyware software are blocked as if a firewall is interfering or the network modem is unplugged.

What I have done -

I've cleared all the downloaded java applets and files.

Cleared all tempory internet files.

Scanned with AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition but it detected nothing.

Scanned with Ad-aware SE which found 75 tracking cookies and 1 object. Then updated the definitions in safe mode and scanned again. Found a further object called fakealert, which reappears every time I launch explorer.

I'm guessing it's more than one thing, but don't know where to start. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

tata.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:32 AM

Posted Image to BC

PLease follow this guide