Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Associations

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CosmoQueen

CosmoQueen

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:45 AM

I don't know what happened, I was having some problems and I reinstalled Windows ME and now the only things I can click on are My Documents, My Briefcase, My Computer, Internet Explorer, My Network Places & picture files.

Everything else I get this message: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.

What do I do? I can't properly reinstall Windows because I can't my darn D: drive to recognize there's a disk in there.

Please help me I'm desperate! LOL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:01 AM

Its a bad idea to reinstalled Windows because of the problems you have encountered.
If you can't do a system restore then you may as well do a format and fresh rebuild.

What do I do? I can't properly reinstall Windows because I can't my darn D: drive to recognize there's a disk in there.

Is that in Windows or DOS?

Do you have a boot disk with CD Rom support?

You've posted the same question on annoyances.org. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:03 AM

The link below, while discussing file associations for pictures, will show you how to change (or create) the necessary file associations:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40808/how-to-change-which-application-opens-your-pictures/

The cause may have been that you had originally associated certain files with a particular application that was not part of the operating system, and you have not re-installed it yet.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 17 April 2007 - 06:38 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:34 PM

This reg file is for Windows 98 but it probably will work on Windows Me.

Windows 98 File Associations

These files are REG files (in ZIP format). They will restore the default values for File Type associations.

Usage: Download the ZIP file and extract the REG file inside. Double click the REG file you extracted and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by right clicking on them and selecting Edit.

http://www.dougknox.com/utility/98fileasso..._file_assoc.htm

More 98*Grinler utilities

http://www.dougknox.com/utility/index.htm

#5 CosmoQueen

CosmoQueen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:25 PM

Its a bad idea to reinstalled Windows because of the problems you have encountered.
If you can't do a system restore then you may as well do a format and fresh rebuild.

Is that in Windows or DOS?

Do you have a boot disk with CD Rom support?

You've posted the same question on annoyances.org. :thumbsup:

In Windows and in DOS(which I can do even less in). And yes I do have one.

#6 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:51 AM

In Windows and in DOS(which I can do even less in). And yes I do have one.

Well have you tried your boot disk to see if you can access the CD Rom from DOS? If you can then Windows can't find your CD Rom. If you can't then check all you connections. Check your setting in the BIOS or buy another CD Rom, they are cheap enough. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users