Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Msi Motherboard Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:36 AM

This may be connected to a problem I've posted earlier about Windows Media Center not working. USAMA suggested I update the Nvidia driver for my GeForce 6600 video card. After doing that I am still having the same problem with the Media Center.

When I first decided to upgrade to Vista Ultimate (with a clean install), I ran the Vista Upgrade Advisor. There were things that I found that wouldn't work but there was no mention of the motherboard being a problem.

I went to MSI's site and checked to see if I could upgrade the BIOS and found out that I couldn't. Secondly they told me that my motherboard was "not" vista ready and that they wouldn't install Vista on it. MSI then directed me to a page where I could purchase vista certified MSI motherboards.

I wish the Vista Upgrade Advisor had flagged the motherboard. That may be what is causing the crash when I run Windows Media Center.

Is there anything I can do to checik and see if I am out of luck with this entire installation because of the motherboard not being certified by M$.

Thanks for any ideas and suggestions.

Jazzmahn

p.s. I have gone through every other program that is installed on the computer and everything works fine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:53 AM

You haven't said what motherboard you are talking about.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:26 AM

Sorry. The motherboard is a

K8N Neo4-F

I appreciate you looking at this.

JazzMahn

#4 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:31 AM

What I don't understand is that if I select the same music in Windows Media Player the songs work perfectly. Doesn't make any sense to me. If there is a problem causing the audio not to work on songs I've stored on the computer, it seems like it woulde have the same problem regardless of program.

Media Player works perfect. I just like the features of Windows Media Center and wanted to be able to use it.

Thanks again for any and all suggestions.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:48 PM

I'd suggest trying to update the motherboard drivers - and run the updater using compatibility mode if Vista drivers aren't available.

FWIW - I'm battling with an MSI mobo (975x PUE) that just doesn't like Vista either. This is making me consider going back to Asus for my mobo needs! :huh:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:10 PM

John,

If I go out and get a new motherboard, I will have to repurchase Vista Ultimate as I bought an OEM version that is linked to the motherboard. Don't really want to have to do that if I don't have to.

Here is a thought. Let me know what you think. I am dual booting XP Professional on one hard drive and Vista Ultimate on a separate hard drive. What would happen if I went to the XP Pro side and did a motherboard upgrade from that side. MSI has an automatic check for motherboards and can install a needed upgrade.

Since the Vista Upgrade Advisor had nothing to say about the motherboard, I took the motherboard that I had been using for XP Pro and used it to install Vista. What would be the problem with upgrading the msi mobo on xp and then go back to Vista.

MSI does not have a upgrade for Vista for this motherboard. Not sure this makes sense but would sure like your thoughts.

Thanks,

JazzMahn

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:36 PM

The motherboard drivers are particular to the OS that you're using (not to the motherboard) - so the drivers for the XP installation won't be the same one's used by the Vista installation.

If the mobo isn't Vista certified, and you purchased it as a bundle - what about trying to get an RMA for a new mobo?

I'd stick with the attempt to run the mobo driver installation in compatibility mode and hope for the best.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:27 AM

John,

Everything else is working exactly perfect. Even the Windows Media Player is working. Do I really want to do a mobo upgrade and stand the chance of messing things up again. I can continue to go back to MSI and look for Vista upgades and see.

I think I'm in pretty good shape for now.

Thanks for you suggestions.

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:05 AM

Do you the newest audio driver?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:15 AM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Nothing succeeds like success.

I'd leave well enough alone for the time being.

#11 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:10 PM

Thanks guys. I think I am going to do just that. All seems to be working.

I did go to MSI's site and see that they have done more testing on Vista Capable Motherboards. The K8N Neo4-F is listed as capable and will run Vista Ultimate so maybe I got lucky. Doesn't look like there is a Vista upgrade available at present but at least I think there will be one.

I also was reading that some people that did a BIOS upgrade ended up trashing their installation and had to start all over again. Any truth to this. I never have heard of a BIOS upgrade causing that kind of problem unless it was not done correctly.

Thought??

#12 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:18 PM

BIOS issues can cause every imaginable computer problem except pop-ups, so I'm not surprised.

Without knowing the details I would guess that they tried to use a tool to upgrade the BIOS from within Windows that has some compatibility problem with Vista and that screwed things up. Or they might have used one of the Vista hacks out there depending on emulating an OEM BIOS, and when they updated the BIOS Vista went crazy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users