Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pixel Shader Support

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:55 AM

I bought a new game which won't run because it says that no "pixel shader" is "fatal". I have a later game which still runs even though it doesn't have the pixel shader, so I don't know why this game thinks is it "fatal". Is the only way to get the pixel shader to install a graphics card with it, or can drivers be updated or something? (sorry if it's a dopey question, I don't know what all of this stuff is....) Thanks.
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:58 AM

It is not as simple as having pixel shader or not having pixel shader. There are different versions and even if a game uses pixel shaders doesn't mean it necessarily needs them.

Question: What hardware do you have, and what game are you talking about?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:36 AM

It is not as simple as having pixel shader or not having pixel shader. There are different versions and even if a game uses pixel shaders doesn't mean it necessarily needs them.

Question: What hardware do you have, and what game are you talking about?

Sorry Mr Alpha, I seem to have started 2 threads on this (I wasn't sure where to put it and when I changed my mind it looks like I posted instead of backspacing - I'm not having a very good computer day.... If it's all right with the mods, I'll leave this here because I want to ask about graphics cards). I give some info on the other thread about what I've got, what game, etc. The computer is a Dell GX260 - but it is second-hand so may not have original specs.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/88870/game-wont-play/

If you don't mind can you explain "Integrated Intel® Extreme graphics & 4X AGP Slot" to me - is that an empty slot for a graphics card? Most of the cards I looked up seem to be 8x, so would I need to get something secondhand? Is there a limit to what memory I can get? Will it make any difference getting more memory? What else do I need to watch out for? Thanks for any help.

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:08 AM

If you don't mind can you explain "Integrated Intel® Extreme graphics & 4X AGP Slot" to me - is that an empty slot for a graphics card? Most of the cards I looked up seem to be 8x, so would I need to get something secondhand? Is there a limit to what memory I can get? Will it make any difference getting more memory? What else do I need to watch out for? Thanks for any help.

Integrated Intel Extrame Graphics = Onboard GPU = bad for gaming
4xAGP= an older version of AGP that is semi compatable with the newer AGP cards

Heres a card that suits your needs it includes pixel shader although im not sure wich one and its $37.00 plus shipping Newegg.com

As for the memory if you mean system memory that always helps make games faster but will not fix your Pixel shader issue only a card can do that

Posted Image

#5 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:35 PM

I thought I'd posted a reply earlier, but it seems not.
Thanks for the link, but I don't think Newegg ships to Australia, and the post takes forever from the States if surface, costs lots if Airmail in any case. I'll see if I can find something similar closer to home.

As for the memory if you mean system memory that always helps make games faster but will not fix your Pixel shader issue only a card can do that

I was talking about the memory of the card, I'm not sure how that is significant or how it fits in with the speed of the CPU (ie is there any point getting lots or will it be limited by the CPU anyway?).
I've managed to find the manual for my PC online, so I know what the insides look like (and I've found out that I have 2 more USB ports than I knew about, hidden under a flap on the front of the box...).
Thanks very much for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users