Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Game Won't Play

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:36 AM

I bought a new game which won't play, says it is a fatal error that there is no pixel shading, but I have a later game which operates perfectly well. Obviously, this pixel shading business needn't necessarily stop the game from working. Is there any way to get the game to think it isn't "fatal" after all? (How silly it is....) :thumbsup:
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 evilmonkeyz

evilmonkeyz

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:33 AM

What game is it?

Try downloading the latest patch for the game and your graphics card.
If life gives you lemons you should make lemonade, then find a buddy that life gave him vodka and throw a party!!

#3 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:43 AM

What game is it?

Ummm...Lego star wars... :thumbsup:

Try downloading the latest patch for the game and your graphics card.

I looked on the site - it just says "you can't play it", nothing about any patch....

#4 evilmonkeyz

evilmonkeyz

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:59 AM

What graphics card have you got, because the game needs pixel shading 1.1 support, and if your graphics doesn't have this, then I don't think that you can get the game to work, maybe the later games that you can play don't require this.

(Assuming that it's Lego Starwars 1, then there is a patch available here)
If life gives you lemons you should make lemonade, then find a buddy that life gave him vodka and throw a party!!

#5 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:03 AM

What graphics card have you got, because the game needs pixel shading 1.1 support, and if your graphics doesn't have this, then I don't think that you can get the game to work, maybe the later games that you can play don't require this.

I don't think that I have a separate card, just an integrated graphics controller. On the Dell site, it says about my computer (assuming it's not been altered and is true to the orig specs). "Integrated Intel® Extreme graphics & 4X AGP Slot". The later game Lego Star Wars II: the original trilogy says on the box that it needs pixel shading, but it works just fine. I've also got a Prince of Persia game which comes up with a list of things it wants, says I don't have them all and might have problems, but it still plays.... I don't know why this game has to be so fascist about it - I don't mind not having all my pixels :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link to the patch - although I doubt it will make it work if it thinks my computer is defective??

#6 evilmonkeyz

evilmonkeyz

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:09 AM

don't know why this game has to be so fascist about it - I don't mind not having all my pixels :thumbsup:

:flowers: :trumpet:

Erm, this is very strange then, have you tried uninstalling the game and then doing a clean install again? (Or try turning all the graphics settings right down, that's if you can get to the menu.)

Edit: Just found this on Eidos' site, doesn't look very promesing. Look here.

Edited by evilmonkeyz, 16 April 2007 - 10:14 AM.

#7 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:24 AM

Edit: Just found this on Eidos' site, doesn't look very promesing.

Yes, I'd already seen that - that's why I wasn't hopeful about there being a patch to make it "go". I just don't understand why the newer game, which also says it wants pixel shading (whatever that IS - I don't even KNOW :thumbsup:) still runs..... Obviously they've just programmed it that way.
No there is no menu, no nothing - Just a "Fatal error - you can't run this, you don't have pixel shading" raspberry.
I'm looking at what I have to do to get a graphics card in my machine...
Thanks anyway.

#8 evilmonkeyz

evilmonkeyz

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:56 AM

Yep, it is odd that Lego Starwars 1 won't work but 2 does, maybe 2 is programed better? :flowers:

As for what pixel shaders are, find out here. although, if they aren't working for you i doubt you really care. :thumbsup:

As for getting a new graphics card, the first thing to do is check what free slots you have in your system, that will be key as to what card you can get. (Either PCI, APG or PCI-E)

Sorry the problem wasn't fixed.

#9 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:09 AM

Yep, it is odd that Lego Starwars 1 won't work but 2 does, maybe 2 is programed better?

Probably. It seems quite odd to me that they would make it so that it wouldn't work on a "normal" computer - it's the sort of game parents or grandparents would buy for kids who don't have one of those super-dooper gaming computers, or "regular" people might buy...

.......although, if they aren't working for you i doubt you really care. :thumbsup:

Even if they were working or I get them working, I still won't care.... :flowers:

As for getting a new graphics card, the first thing to do is check what free slots you have in your system, that will be key as to what card you can get. (Either PCI, APG or PCI-E)

Thanks, I actually managed to start 2 threads and am getting some helpful advice over in the Hardware section. I'm pretty sure I need an APG card, low-profile, compatible with 4x. Still researching....

Sorry the problem wasn't fixed.

No worries, thanks anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users