Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major IE problems on Win2k

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 momof2ct

momof2ct

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 12 January 2005 - 03:59 PM

Hi, I am new here! Ive been having an ongoing problem for quite a while now. Ive been using Netscape, but it seems most everything will not run without IE. Here is my problem.

A few months ago I think I got a virus or something that attacked my Internet Explorer to the point where, when I click to open it, it brings up my Desktop folder. It will, under no circumstance bring up the browser.

Ive run Trend Micro, Adaware, Spybot, CCleaner, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled IE under different scenarios (like after removing Netscape and Firefox, so there were no other browsers on the system) and NOTHING works....IE will fully install but still will not load up for me.

I just dont know what else to do, can anyone help me? I have HiJackThis, but dont know exactly what to do with it. Any help would be appreciated. :thumbsup: :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 12 January 2005 - 04:13 PM

Download the latest version of HijackThis (HJT), from here.

Put HijackThis in a Permanent folder:
Click My Computer / C: / File / New / Folder / name the folder; HijackThis
Put HijackThis.exe, in this folder.
This is a mandatory step, for the backup and restore functions, of HijackThis, to be able to work.

Read the pinned post in the HJT forum, here

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 momof2ct

momof2ct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2005 - 05:52 PM

thanks, i went ahead and did that. i hope someone can help me, this has been driving me nuts for months. :thumbsup:

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2005 - 06:54 PM

If it's a spyware/malware problem, they will get you fixed up.

If this doesn't help with your problem, then post back in this forum. In your
post, mention that you have already submited a HJT log, and it was cleaned.
This way we can start looking, for a fix for the problem, on a clean machine.

Edited by tg1911, 12 January 2005 - 06:56 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 momof2ct

momof2ct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 08:59 AM

hi, i was wondering, what is the average wait time for someone to look at the logfile? i think mine has been buried, and i am hoping someone can get to it. here is the link.

HijackThis logfile: Momof2ct

Thanks for your help.
Melanie

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 09:45 AM

It could take a few days. The HJT Team ars kept pretty busy.

I noticed you bumped your post. You shouldn't have.

The most common method that a lot of the HJT helpers use is the Unanswered posts search. The problem is that a lot of users sometimes reply to their own post, so there log does not appear as unanswered, and thus does not get help.

I've brought it to the attention of the admin, so somebody should be helping you, soon. Can't give you an exact time, but please be patient. It will get taken care of.

#7 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 05:05 PM

What happens when you click start, click run, type iexplore and click okay?

#8 momof2ct

momof2ct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 08:08 PM

when i do that, my desktop folder comes up. its driving me INSANE......LOL. Some virus got me good apparantly.

#9 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2005 - 01:59 PM

What do you mean by "desktop folder?" C:\documents and settings\momof2ct\desktop?

#10 momof2ct

momof2ct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2005 - 08:02 PM

right.....that happens everytime i try to open internet explorer.

#11 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2005 - 10:00 AM

Thats really whacked man, maybe if you double click on the desktop folder Internet Explorer will open!!! Just kidding. Do a search for iexplore.exe and make sure it is in c:\=Program Files\Internet Explorer.
Are you the only user of this system? Can you create a second user which will create a second profile, log on as that user (the new one) and see if the problem exists with the new user.
Also check the properties of iexplore.exe (right click it and click properties) and tell me the version.
EDIT: Never mind, I just saw the version on your HJT log.

Edited by QQQQ, 16 January 2005 - 10:06 AM.

#12 momof2ct

momof2ct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2005 - 05:58 PM

Yeah, thats where its located. This just boggles me because Ive always been able to solve my own problems...LOL. Im stumped.

#13 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 09:34 AM

Hey momo have you tried logging on as a different user yet? It may be due to a jacked profile, logging on as a different user would prove this.
I had a friends laptop yesterday and Internet Explorer would stop responding as soon as you opened it. If I logged on as admin everything was okay. Logged on as admin I then cleared the temp and temp internet files folders from his profile and it solved it, give it a go if you haven't already.

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 10:10 AM

Also check the properties of iexplore.exe (right click it and click properties)

QQQQ might be onto something there. Right click on whatever you normally do to start IE and click properties and let us know what it says in the target box. Click find target and what folder comes up?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#15 momof2ct

momof2ct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 10:34 AM

ok this is what it says so far, in the target box it just says IExplore, and the location is C:\Program Files\internet explorer....theres no link to click in the target box.

somehting strange i found when i went to look at the user profiles is that there are a couple that i did not put there....here is what is listed:

administrator: account upgraded from win 95 or 98 (this was the only one i ever used)

aspnet: full name: asp.net machine account description: account used for running the asp.net worker process.
(this one has a red X on it)

Guest (this one has a red X on it too)

IUSR_Melanie_Brennan: full name: Internet Guest Account Description: built in account for anonymous access to internet information

IWAM_Melanie_Brennan (same as above)

something tells me these shouldnt be there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users