Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Doesnt Wanna Load, I Gotta Restart To Make It To Load

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 com_newbie

com_newbie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 10:44 PM

Windows Xp Doesnt Wanna Load, I Gotta Restart To Make It To Load

Before the repair it didnt wanna load at all - also I have some hard drive issues ( that got cut off and came our weird :thumbsup: , sorry)

----------------------------------------------

OK, Im gonna explain what happened step by step cause Im not sure whats important. I dont understand very much about this stuff. I hope someone more expirienced then me will help me out.

Im using windows xp proffessional version.

OK It first happened while I was surfing online, I was surfing on sites that I can say are pretty much safe, but at the same time I was running either AVG 7.5 antivurus or their AVG antispyware 7.5 (not sure which one of the two) . At some point when the scanning was on my E hard drive ( windows is on my C hard drive ) the computer froze and naturally I restarted. But windows didnt wanna start after the restart, it kept giving these messeges: windows didnt shut down properly and it asked me to choose to start it in safe or normal or etc.. mode.

I tried every type of start mode, it didnt work. Windows wouldnt load and u know that line where windows loads would move a while and then stop.....no responce no nothing. So I tried restaring several times. Same thing, widnows didnt start properly last time, choose a mode...after I choose it loaded for a while but then stopped!

So I took it to the repair, the re-installed my windows. Now when I wanna start it, it runs properly doesnt ask me to choose, windows loads for a while, but fails to load again. I try restart and then it works! But I gotta restart it every time. Say I shut down my computer now, I gotta start it and wait for it to fail once, then restart it and then it loads properly.

Now about the antiviruses programs part. While running AVG 7.5 antispyware, I kept getting messeges like - this file is not readable, do a disk check ( chk dsk ). So I tried to do a disk check, I went to my E hard drive, choose properties then tools then error checking and check the 2 boxes and click start. But it took so long! An hour and 30 mins passed and it wasnt done even 1/3 of the total hard drive.

BTW my hard drive is only 20gb but I have a lot of files stored on it, especially websites, html files. Just as a comparison, my AVG antivirus takes 2 hours to scan my entire computer ( 2 hard drive 20 gb each so 40 total) and my AVG spyware tooks 45 mins to 1h, and most of the time they pass scanning my E hard drive.

I needed the computer urgently so I had to stop the scan after 1 hour and 30 mins, and besides it looked stuck! So I restarted the computer cause that was the only way to stop it , and now I get a messege on every startup, windows scans my E drive. ( I know thats probably caused by me stopping it by restart so its now stuck but it can also signal a failing drive).

Another thing about the antispyware and antivirus programs, the 3 times so far when my computer froze, it happened while I was scanning with either avg antivirus and avg antispyware and it happened while they were scanning my E hard drive. Also I said already that my avg antispyware said some of my files on E are unreadable.

Looks like there is smth on my E hard drive maybe bad sectors or malware ( thats a low possibility cause i did several scans besides the 3 times when my computer froze and they didnt detect anything). Its weird, how smtimes I do a scan and it goes ok, but other times it freezes, so it doesnt freeze on every scan.

So basically I start the computer and windows doesnt load properly. It takes me to the screen where it says that its scanning my E drive, but it scans and gets stuck there. Then I restart it again and now it loads, then it does a lil scan of my E hard drive ( and its little, it doesnt take more then 3 mins....how can a disk check be so fast? I waited for my C hard drive scan for a lot longer than that). BTW I did a disk check on my C drive and then I wanted to do one on my E hard drive, it took ages. ( but my c drive has free 15 gb out of 20 gb and my E hard drive has only 1 gb free so it has a lot more to scan ). After the under 3 mins disk check of my E hard drive it says ok and windows loads properly. BTW even before the E disk check run on every startup I had to do a restart to make it work, but then it got stuck while windows loaded.

Thats my major problem. the smaller one is getting that E disk check to stop to run on every startup, but i found a site where it says i can change that in windows registry. ( altho that looks scary, is it scary?)

Besides the startup issue and the freezes during some scans, the computer works great so far. I can run it for hours and hours and it doesnt give me problems (until I restart or scan ).

Help me out people, I dont wanna take it again to the repair shop cause they will probably delete both of my hard drives ( cause thats the only logical answer i can think of rite now to stop this ) , or they will reformat my hard drive ( that loses all data rite?) and i dont wanna to that. Im doing a partial backup now just in case.

Say its a issue with my E hard drive, ( as I said windows is on my C drive ) can it effect the windows startup? I had to restart every time to make it load even before that scans E drive got stuck in my startup.

What is the problem with my computer? Sorry for all the talk, but I thought its best to say it all cause as I said i dont know too much about this stuff so I have no idea whats important.

Help me to fix this please.

Edited by com_newbie, 15 April 2007 - 10:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:07 AM

Are you able to boot in safe mode? It seems like you might have a conflict with the program wanting to run at start up..

My first suggestion is to boot safe mode, then remove your AV.. See if that helps..

Also, do you have more than one anti-virus program installed?

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:11 PM

Your hard drive is bad. And if I were you, I'd connect it to another computer as a slave, and copy all the data off of it. You have a classic sign of it too.

In the mean time, I would try to do too much too it, because I believe it's going to go out on you, and the more and more strain you put on it to seek/write to the drive, it'll eventually give out on you, and you'll have a harder time getting your data off of it.

And to verify why I say it's your hard drive, it's because you said you took it to a repair, and they didn't tell you anything bad about it, which means the hard drive just wasn't acting up right then. That's another sign of a hard drive going bad.

I've been through 2 hard drives in 19 years that went bad on me, but I ignored the symptoms, and to this day, I still regret my ignorance. I vowed, "Never again will this happen to me". Years worth of work, down the drain. Thank GOD for the human brain (after the fact). I've gotten all my work back, plus some (A mental memory of what I had).

Taking longer than normal to scan a drive? Signs of a hard drive going bad.

But you've explained it thoroughly enough to figure it out. I'm sticking my my observations that your hard drive is going out out on, and it may do it very soon.

My best advice again, back up that hard drive.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 02:30 PM

You could download HDDScan and scan your hard drive for errors.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users