Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Access Desktop Pics On Win 98

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 htonyc

htonyc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:47 PM

Hello all,

I cannot access the pictures that were stored on my old desktop computer - on the desktop. (They were stored there for easy access by my Wife) I had to reinstall win 98 se on my computer after it crashed and would not re boot properly. I know the files are still there, but I cannot access them.

Any ideas on how to remedy this problem?

I am running a newer computer with which I am requesting this help (win xp), - the old one has baby pics that I would hate to lose.

I haven't re - installed any of the programs such as soundblaster, etc

any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
htony :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:10 AM

Pop the drive out of the old computer, and set it to SLAVE. Then install it into the XP computer and burn them to CD\DVD, or transfer them to the XP drive.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 orbweb

orbweb

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:54 PM

I'm pretty sure your photos have been overwritten. The desktop is a file that is overwritten when you reinstall win98 on top of itself. In the fututre, never store any files on the desktop. Rather, make a file on a drive and send a shortcut to the desktop, that way when win98 is reeinstalled, it only deletes the shortcut to your storage file.

Sorry.

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:59 PM

I cannot access the pictures that were stored on my old desktop computer - on the desktop. (They were stored there for easy access by my Wife) I had to reinstall win 98 se on my computer after it crashed and would not re boot properly. I know the files are still there, but I cannot access them.

Just askin',

but how do you know that they are there?

Can you see (access) them at all?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users