Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Open Any File. All Supporting Program Missing.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 alexpatel

alexpatel

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 06:30 PM

I am newbie here so pardon me if i am not following any rules of this website.

Let me tell you first the issue i have with my computer:

Suddenly yesterday when i started computer i see all my icon missing file extension association. All file/program has .lnk extension now. when i double click on any file it pop up window saying "windows cannot open this file. File: Filename.LNK. To open this file, windows need to know the program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically or you can manually select from a list of program on your computer".

I tried system restore but that didn't help. I can't open up regedit from run because this issue/problem don't let me. Neither i can open up any file or program in control panel. I THink this is all caused because of ad-watch Se professional.

So far i tried scan with lavasoft ad-aware, SuperAntispyware, Spybot search & destroy, cleanup!, housecall trendmicro, & zonealarm security suite. I tried norton security scan which stop working after this problem. From scanning i have found i have vundo trojan in registry. i tried vundofix.exe and fixvundo.exe. vundofix removed few files from computer but couldn't able to remove from registry. i installed this software "XoftspySe". It detected all worm, adwarespyware, trojan, virus etc but can't remove it. Spybot and housecall removed all the virus and adware spyware except VUNDo from registry. However, my both problem missing file extension and vundo in registry still unsolved. I have windows XP professional(no SP2, tried to update it but it says i don't have genuine XP so i can't update it. Also, i can open up all files that is in my document and my picture folder. I have post logfile from hijackthis in that forum section. The only thing i didn't try is Stinger Mcfee because my computer won't let me install that all. i downloaded it but can't install. when i try to instal it says association file missing.

CAN SOMEONE please please help me!!!!!!!!! Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 07:10 PM

See if this article helps:
Broken EXE Association
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 alexpatel

alexpatel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 07:54 PM

Thank you for your reply. let me go over article and hope it helps. Thank you once again.

Mod Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 15 April 2007 - 11:37 PM.

#4 alexpatel

alexpatel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:10 PM

Thank you veryyyyy much....your life saver....I am just jumping all over....i was trying to figure this out for last two days....i tried every thing......Thank you once again.....

Mod Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 15 April 2007 - 11:38 PM.

#5 alexpatel

alexpatel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:19 PM

ok i found the solution...User TG1911 has solved it for me as far as broken exe association is concerned.....here is if you have same problem....just go to this website: http://filext.com/faq/broken_exe_association.php

But i still need to get rid of vundo from registry...

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 11:37 PM

You're quite welcome, alexpatel.
Glad to be of help.

I see you have a HijackThis log posted.
If you have any problems, the HJT Team will find it.

You shouldn't make any changes to your system, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it more difficult to properly clean your system.
At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

I'm closing this topic until you are cleared by the HJT Team.
If, after your log has been cleaned, you still need help, please PM a Moderator and we will re-open this topic.

One more thing; When replying to a post, don't use the Quote button under the post, unless there is something specifically in the post, that you want to quote.
Either use the button at the top of the page labeled Add Reply, or use one of the 2 buttons at the bottom of the page labeled Fast Reply, and Add Reply.

Edited by tg1911, 15 April 2007 - 11:39 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users