Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Does Duo Core Really Mean?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bamamcall

Bamamcall

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 06:05 PM

I keep seeing duo core laptops. Does this double the speed? So if it is a 1.6 GHZ is suppose to be equal to a 3.2GHZ? And it has something to do with hyper threading. I need a laptop that needs a minium of 1.6 GHZ to run the software. So am I safe in getting a 1.6 GHZ duo core?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 06:19 PM

It doesn't answer your basic question. But here is a nice review of one chip of the line up. It also rates a 9.0 with c/net reviews. which is rather impressive IMHO.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Intel_Core_2_Duo_E...7-31973836.html

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:36 PM

Core Duo means that the Processor Die (what the actual processor sits on) has 2 processor chips mounted on it. Heres a link to an Intel Presentation about them Core Duo Multimedia Presentation. But it should run at what feels like twice the rated speed due to the fact that it is a 64bit processor rated on a 32 bit scale if im right

Posted Image

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:49 AM

Core Duo is a name for a mobile laptop processor family from Intel. It has no technical meaning whatsoever, it is just a name. The Core part of the name comes from it using Intel's New Core Microarchitecture and the Duo comes fore them being dual-core processors. But it is just a name. It has nothing to do with hyper-threading and nothing to do with double speed.

As to whether it is fast enough the answer is: most likely. A 1.6 GHz processor doesn't mean anything. Usually the requirement is something like this: A 1.6 GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor or equivalent. A 1.6 GHz Core Duo is faster than a 1.6 GHz Pentium 4 and so you shouldn't have any problems.

Also there is no such thing as a 64 bit scale and it being a 64 bit processor has no performance meaning in todays environment.

Last tip: Most of the time when somebody is talking about a processor being twice as fast or similar they've misunderstood something.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:35 PM

I'll clear up what I said.

Until 2 years ago most people had a 32bit processor. Processor speeds were rated in hertz.

Hertz is used to measure a frequency. We used it to measure the data transfer to and from the processor across a single pipeline used for both sending and reciving.

Now many of us have 64 bit processors. 64 bit processors use duel pipelines one for sending and one for receving and we measure across both pipelines but because we measure in frequency we will end up with 1/2 the hertz because of the fact that the pipelines are only being used for one given propose and are only oscillating 1/2 as much.

For those of us who were watching the processor market in 2005 they would have noticed the DROP in processor frequencies. We went from 4.0GHz@32bits to 2.0 GHz@64bits without a drop in speed or calculations per second.

Hence the phrase twice the speed @ the same frequency.

Posted Image

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 02:37 PM

No. Now your confusing the register size with the FSB width. A 64 bit processor has 64 bit registers, and it has nothing whatsoever to do with the interface. The frequency of the processor also has nothing to do with the interface; the FSB has its own frequency.

The 64 bit registers of modern processors lets them fit numbers bigger than 4 294 967 296 into one register. The main benefit of this is the you can have more than 4 GB of RAM. It also helps speed up calculations with numbers above 4 294 967 296.

Before 2005 Intel have the whole market trained to believe clock frequency equaled performance. That is one of the motivators behind the Netburst-into-flame architecture, which was designed to scale up to 6-7 GHz. But Intel ran into power and thermal issues which let AMD, who had been focusing on IPC (Instructions Per Clock), gain the performance crown. Intel's Israel development lab, which had been developing mobile processors, had been working on high performance, low clock-speed processors. They designed the aforementioned Core Duo. Intel turned to these technologies to help save them from the fiasco of Netburst-into-flames, and so the Core 2 Duo came to be. This is why we saw a drop in the processor frequencies in 2005.

Hence the phrase twice the speed @ the same frequency.

Hence my tip: Most of the time when somebody is talking about a processor being twice as fast or similar they've misunderstood something.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 Bamamcall

Bamamcall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:46 PM

Thanks for the help.
So the minimum rquired to run a software is 1.6 GHZ

and I get a 1.6 Duo Core with alot of ram (2GB Ram) I will be ok?

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:22 AM

Yes you should be fine. The core duo is maybe 1.85 times faster, clock for clock. Think of it as a 3 GHz Pentium 4 when looking at requirements.

#9 Bamamcall

Bamamcall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:05 PM

Cool I bought this last night.

http://www.buy.com/prod/Toshiba_Satellite_.../204382428.html

#10 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:09 PM

Nice, good to see some machines still come with XP.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#11 Bamamcall

Bamamcall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:26 PM

i didn't want Vista. I have enough troubles with CPU's
Plus I use Quickbooks and I heard it doesn't respond well to it.

#12 Bamamcall

Bamamcall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:01 PM

Well got my Duo Core today. Toshiba Sattellite P100 1,6 GHZ. Pretty sweet.
But I realized when I got it I haven't has a retail CPU since 93. All the crap that is preloaded is amazing.
Any use McAfee? I use AVG and Adaware.
The right toolbar has about 10 icons on it for starup. Bums me out.

#13 JoshT

JoshT

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:20 PM

Well got my Duo Core today. Toshiba Sattellite P100 1,6 GHZ. Pretty sweet.
But I realized when I got it I haven't has a retail CPU since 93. All the crap that is preloaded is amazing.
Any use McAfee? I use AVG and Adaware.
The right toolbar has about 10 icons on it for starup. Bums me out.

I bet you can get rid of those by stopping them from starting up.

I think the Run command is MSCONFIG, atleast it is for Windows Me.

#14 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:57 PM

Here's something to deal with the preloaded junk :thumbsup:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/78461/decrapifying-the-craplets-on-a-new-pc/

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users