Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Login To Web Site Editor

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mcginn

mcginn

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 05:03 PM

I have a Web Site, My Webpage I have had this Web Site for a couple of years. My Web Site has always loaded slow from my computer. When I complained to my ISP they said it must be my computer because it loads fine from their computer. I sent the address to a few people to have them check how fast the Site loaded, and they said that the Site loads just fine from their computer. I decided that I could live with the slow load from my computer as long as other people could load it fast. I have a Editor for this site and in the past I have edited things on this site. Now when I try to login to the editor I get a page that says "ACCESS DENIED". Thinking I had forgotten the login and password I contacted the ISP who told me that I had the right login and password and that the editor works just fine from their computer, and they didn't know how to get my computer to let me into the Editor. I used a Laptop computer and used the same phone line to get into my site Editor. I had this question on another page and tried several things but sill can't get into my Editor. Do any of you Web Site builders know why I can't get into My Editor from my Computer but can from another computer???????????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 05:38 PM

The site loads just fine from here. I have no clue what sort of 'Site Builder' you are using, but the error message you are getting can also indicate that you are not typing in the correct address to get the editor page. Perhaps your ISP changed where the editor was located? Realistically, anybody should be able to get to the editor page. Or am I misunderstanding; you can get to the login page, but your login credentials are being rejected? If that is the case, then silly things like caplock keys or numlock keys can cause problems. Other than that, your ISP would be the one to help you figure out why you are not able to get logged in. Did your ISP actually try logging in with your username and password to verify that it worked? (Your isp should not know what your password is... change it if you can.)

#3 mcginn

mcginn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:04 PM

My ISP is Golden West and they call the site builder "Building Blocks". I have already been through the correct address for the Editor page, caps lock, number lock. I can get the login page but when I enter my login and password, that is when I get the page with "ACCESS DENIED" page. I asked the ISP if I could change my login or password but they said I more than likely still wouldn't be able to get into the editor. My ISP does know my login and password, that is how they told me that it works fine from their computer.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:24 PM

I asked the ISP if I could change my login or password but they said I more than likely still wouldn't be able to get into the editor.

The obvious question would be why? (I'll hold off comments about your ISP for now)

#5 mcginn

mcginn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 10:51 PM

They said that it wouldn't do any good to change the password because they think that there is something wrong with my computer that won't let me login. Since they can login and I can login from another computer I think that maybe they are right. Maybe there is some program that is on my computer that causes my Web Site to load slow and now causes me not to login to my editor. I have changed the settings on my computer to allow cookies from Goldenwest, set Goldenwest as an allowed site in my antivirus, I even converted my computer back to Inernet 6 trying to get my login to work for my editor. Nothing works! I was hoping someone else had this problem and knew how to fix it.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:21 AM

Or your computer is so clogged with malware that it is using up all the available bandwidth (one possibility). When was the last time you gave your system a good cleaning?

#7 mcginn

mcginn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:21 PM

I think my computer is the cleanest it has ever been, but I don't know much about computers. I went about 6 months without an Antivirus and didn't know it until ISP called to say I was sending out a virus. I had bought what I thought was a Antivirus and didn't know it wasn't until it was too late. Now I have eTrust Security Suite which includes: Anti-Spam, Antivirus, Firewall, and Anti-spyware. I have defraged and removed cookies and temp. internet files, run my Anti-crash ( this was the program I thought was an anti-virus) removed unused games from the control panel. My dial-up connection is working faster than it ever worked before. The computer uploads different sites fast I can login to my e-filtering that is on my E-mail, I can login to this site and other sites; I just can't login to my Web Site Editor, and My Web Site still loads s l o w. I had this same question on another page of Bleeping Computer, until I saw that there was a page for Web Sites. I just got a reply from someone that said that maybe I was having trouble with my Authentication Packet, That it wasn't staying open long enough. Do you know anything about an Authentication Packet, I don't. I did install a new Modem awhile back,(wanted one with call waiting on it because of using dial-up on single phone line.) Would a new Modem cause me to not be able to login to my Web Editor?

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:15 PM

I just got a reply from someone that said that maybe I was having trouble with my Authentication Packet

I hope somebody wasn't trying to help you via PM or email from here. The general idea is if the help isn't transparent to everybody, then it should be taken with a grain of salt. It helps us protect our members from bad or unclear advice.

Anyway, I have no idea what this 'someone' meant by an authorization packet. What I know of an authentication packet deals with ..ummm... less than noble intentions. What I think that they probably mean is that your computer, or the server, or both, are expecting data in a particular form and not getting it. Since you just installed a new modem, I would suspect that something is configured differently. This is not really my area, and I'll be the first to admit it.

Are any other web-pages giving you problems? Can you temporarily disable the call-waiting feature?

#9 mcginn

mcginn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:18 PM

You can read the reply at BleepingComputer.com, Windows XP Home and Professional, Web Site Troubles. When I first got on this site I paged down until I got to Windows XP Home and Professional, and since I had recently down loaded the new version Microsoft Internet Explorer 7, I thought that maybe someone else was having this problem with their Web Site Editor. Thats what I get for thinking! After I put my need for help on that page I saw that there was a page for Web Site Development. Decided to ask the same question there To see if any Web Site Developers had the answer. Call waiting is another thing that doesn't work correctly. I have Dial-up for Internet and only one phone line and mis alot of phone calls because Iam on the internet. My Daughter has call Waiting and it tells her who is calling and you can take a call while on the Internet. The only thing that call waiting does for me is I don't get knocked off the Internet very often anymore. Yes I can disable Call Waiting.

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:36 PM

It sounds then like your modem is not configured correctly. When you installed your new modem, did you uninstall the old one first? I Was also going to recommend that you temporarily disable the call waiting and see if you are then able to log into the editor. (it's a long shot).

The next recommendation I would have is to remove all of your modem software and try reinstalling the software for your current modem. If that fails, then I would suggest that you go to the manufacturer's website and see what help they may be able to give. They will probably tell you to uninstall all the software and reinstall also, but if you have already done that, then tell them. They may also have a FAQ that will help you.
That's about all of the help I can give. Sorry I can't get you any further.

#11 mcginn

mcginn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:01 PM

First of all Thank You, groovicus, for trying to help me! I uninstalled the modem and installed it again. Still couldn't log on! Last night I sayed up until 2:00 AM going thought some of the stufff Microsoft has on thier site. Still couldn't log on! Today my ISP called me to see if I was able to log onto my Web Site Editor. I wasn't in a very good mood and was tired of hearing from a ISP that wouldn't help me. He started going through all of the things that I should try, caps lock off, sure I was useing the right login and password. I told him I had tried all of that stuff a 1000 times. He didn't get the message that I didn't want to talk to him and he kept going through the stuff I should try. Disabling the firewall, making the site a trusted site in the firewall, he wouldn't give up questioning me if I had tried everything he had mentioned. Finally he was satisified and said he would talk it over with his fellow computer people and get back to me if they figured anything out. After he got off the phone I started thinking about all the things I had tried and remembered that I had only tried disableing the firewall one time; I had lied! I had 999 times to try it before I gave up. I found that I had Three (3) Firewalls on my computer and when I had disabled the firewall I had disabled the wrong one. When I disabled the etrust Firewall I was able to Login to my Web Site Editor. I can leave the other two (2), (Windows Security Center Firewall and Windows Firewall) on and still Login. I hope this will help someone else figure out WHY THEY CAN'T LOG ONTO THEIR WEB SITE EDITOR!!!!!!!!

#12 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:08 PM

First things first: why do you need to run three firewalls? This type of program is like an antivirus running. more than one causes them to conflict, and create problems. Uninstall one, disable the windows firewall, and add the website and website editing program to the trusted area.

Edited by oldf@rt, 20 April 2007 - 11:09 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users