Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting Files In Windows Temporary Folder

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 monkeydog

monkeydog

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 04:57 PM

I have read in some places that a good thing to do when cleaning up a computer is to delete the files from the windows temp folder. (running xp home) The instructions I read said to go to Start>my computer>disc c>windows. At that point the computer says that the files in that folder are very important for operating system and should not be altered. The instructions I read said to continue on into the windows folder and go to the folder named "temp" at that point open the windows temp folder and delete the files within. The individual was not talking about the "temporary internet files" folder, but rather the above mentioned file named simply "temp" and found in the "windows" folder. Says that this will help in making computer run faster.
I have been afraid to actually do it as I've not heard much about it and don't want to mess up. I regularly run disc cleanup and scandisc and defrag, as well as malware scans. Tried browsing the forums here for info on the windows temp folder but could not find any. Any thoughts on this subject? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 05:29 PM

Hi monkeydog, when you run a disc clean up that is what it cleans up your temp folder, along with a few other things. But by the looks of it you are keeping your PC in good health. PLEASE be careful about using 3rd party software to clean up your pc as if you do not know what you are deleting or how it is used SERIOUS DAMAGE TO YOUR SYSTEM may occur.
MCP
MSDST

#3 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 05:31 PM

Disk Cleanup should do it. The thing to remember with Disk Cleanup is it will only delete files that are over 7 days old that reside in your temp folder.
JC

#4 monkeydog

monkeydog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:01 PM

Thanks Monty, and Josuacat! The instructions that I was reading left me a bit confused and I figured I better research a bit before I jumped in! Sounds like what I'm doing allready should be plenty. Thanks again for the advice!

#5 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:02 PM

No problem. Feel free to post again.

:thumbsup:
JC

#6 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 02:50 PM

XP seems to be made to collect junk 'til it renders itself virtually unusable! I've run cleanup before and still found all sorts of stuff in "temp" folders. I even found one that was full of I-net Exploder entries and I don't even use IE!! Obviously, cleanup doesn't cleanup everything. I've found things in "temp" folders that were related to applications I don't even have any more!!

So, is there an easier way other than going through the OS every week and deleting the permanent "temp" files manually?

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:35 AM

CCleaner - a free utility that will do this with one click. Please be advised that the cleaner is safe to run in it's default configuration - but it's a powerful tool, and messing with it's settings can hose your system!!! http://www.ccleaner.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Arrow92

Arrow92

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:20 AM

hmm that sounds good. but other than that, is there any other way to delete the temp files without getting an extra programme?

Thanks!

"I am always ready to learn, although i do not always like being taught" - Winston Churchill

Who ever said that paper beats rock is a moron.Next time i see some one i am going to throw a rock at them while they hold up a piece of paper for a shield. - Anonymous

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 29 May 2008 - 05:22 AM

You can do it in Windows but the problem is that third party apps tend to work better than Microsoft products. I have CCleaner set up so it automatically cleans out junk files each time I boot up.

#10 Arrow92

Arrow92

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:58 AM

Hmm well just a few things about that:
a)You said it will clean up every time u boot up. Wont that slow down boot up time?
b)Wont third party apps eat up ur comps ram and memory(or whatever that apps take up, im not sure...Im a bit PC illiterate :D)

Yeah so just wondering, cause the main reason i want to delete these files is to make my com faster so its sounds a bit contradicting, so a clarification will be great!

Thanks!

"I am always ready to learn, although i do not always like being taught" - Winston Churchill

Who ever said that paper beats rock is a moron.Next time i see some one i am going to throw a rock at them while they hold up a piece of paper for a shield. - Anonymous

#11 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:38 AM

Doesn't seem to. The CCleaner icon is in the systray while it's working and then stops and disappears. It also allows you to save the cookies you want to keep. I have Norton and anyone who has Norton knows that's the primary culprit in slow startup. And I don't think CCleaner takes up much space unless you don't have much to spare. The main reason to get rid of temp & junk files isn't so your computer will run faster. The thing is if you don't do it, it will bog down to the point where you can't use it anymore. I'm not an ubergeek. I don't want to think about that stuff so I like having CCleaner do it automatically. It has other features but that's the only feature I use. Seems to me like you're overanalyzing this.

#12 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:33 PM

is there any other way to delete the temp files without getting an extra programme?

• Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > General tab
  • Click the delete all button
  • When prompted, place a check in: "Delete all offline content", click OK
If you have firefox browser installed.
  • Go to Tools > Options.
  • Click Privacy in the menu on the left side of the Options window.
  • Click the Clear button located to the right of each option (History, Cookies, Cache).
  • Click OK to close the Options window
Go to start > run and type: cleanmgr and click ok.
It will scan your system for files to remove.
Make sure Temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files, and Recycle Bin are the only things checked.
Press OK to remove them.

Regards,
Extremeboy

Edited by extremeboy, 01 June 2008 - 05:34 PM.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users