Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Home No Longer Boots

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EmbeddedBob

EmbeddedBob

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 03:45 PM

This computer was running fine until I rebooted it on April 1st. Hmmm. Sounds like a virus, eh? My anti-virus software subscription is up to date and a system scan was run about 30 hours prior to the reboot.

When I move the drive to another XP box, all the files are still present. I've backed them all up to the other system and have been working with it.

My non-booting drive has 7tools BootManager on it. When the machine starts, it reads the boot manager from the hard drive, but only lists drive A: as being bootable. It used to list C:. Using the XP Repair console, I've verified that the files NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM are both on C:\. Using the fixboot command does not fix the problem. Using fixmbr tells me that the MBR is either damaged or non-standard, so it suggests not overwriting it.

Is there a way to overwrite the 7tools boot manager with the default Window boot manager? I don't know exactly what 7tools is looking for, but maybe it's corrupted.

I could just buy a new drive, install XP, then put the old drive in as D:, but I'd prefer to get the original disk booting again.

Any suggestions?

Bob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 emucade

emucade

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 04:18 PM

It could be a virus. Iím not one to quickly blame computer problems on viruses but
I have had a similar experience some time ago. NtLDR and NTdetect is the most
Common misunderstood targets for viruses. Not to say that these boot files canít be
Attacked by a virus they just rarely arenít. You may have a Virus in your System
Volume Information folder. No antivirus software in the world will locate a virus in the
System Volume Folder. Every time you remove a virus and reboot it will reinstall itself
From this folder.
You can reformat you HD and reinstall windows. If you do I would download NTFS4DOS and format your HD first. Then install windows. When Windows install
Formats your HD it doesnít replace the System Volume Information folder, It copies
files to it. Its worth a shot. Good luck
" If you want to be the best you better learn how do defend yourself,
Because when you are the best everybody wants to kick youíre a** "
My Dad 1986

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:32 PM

It's possible that the 7tools boot manager rewrote your boot sector using it's own format - and that would explain the results of fixmbr.

I'd suggest a bit of research on the 7tools software - and then use the fixmbr command to repair the MBR. This will remove references to other OS's that you may have installed, but should be a small price to pay for getting your XP back.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users