Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dsl Modem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 charley1

charley1

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 02:11 PM

Hi everyone,

heres an easy one. I have a new dsl modem. Would it be alright to leave it plugged up all the time ?

It is plugged into a strip and hard to plug and unplug. charley1 :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 02:41 PM

A simple power strip even with an intregrated circuit breaker provides little to No Protection to your computer equipment from outside spikes.

One needs to use those that are noted as "surge protectors". Once again you get what you pay for in this realm.

One might also consider using surge protectors for phone lines connected to your computer system and on all other expensive electronic equiptment. (Check with your home/renters insurance provider. You'll be suprised at what they will not cover in such loses.)

I won't flog any particular brand name here. A simple google search on "surge protector" will bring you many results.

Using a surge protector, you'll be fine leaving all your equiptment plugged in to it.
And one can always just use the on/off switch on the strip, or pull it's plug as needed.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 02:54 PM

Just to add to KoanYorel's excellent advice, when you first get your DSL modem you will need to leave it turned on for at least the first 10- 12 days for what's called the ramp up period. Your DSL provider will up your connection speed a little at a time during this time period to determine what is the max speed your phone lines will handle. After that period is over it's really up to you to decide to leave it on or turn it off when its not in use. I agree with KoanYorel's advice regarding use of a quality surge protector to protect the electronic equipment from spikes and voltage variances while it's plugged in and in use.
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#4 charley1

charley1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 03:36 PM

thanks for the reply.