Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hosts File Vs Dns Service

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 01:57 PM

I'm using XP-home SP2, Zone Alarm. I want to understand HOSTS file better. I've read Grinler's tutorial.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/hosts-files-explained/
I don't quite follow what this is about

NOTE: It is important to note that there have been complaints of system slowdowns when using a large hosts file. This is usually fixed by turning off and disabling the DNS Client in your Services control panel under Administrative Tools. The DNS client caches previous DNS requests in memory to supposedly speed this process up, but it also reads the entire HOSTS file into that cache as well which can cause a slowdown. This service is unnecessary and can be disabled."

If DNS service is disabled and the hosts file only includes the bad guys redirected to the local host, how will the names be resolved for the sites I want? Do I have to include every site in the hosts file? What if their IP address changes?
My router acts as a DNS server, does it make any difference?

Edited by tos226, 15 April 2007 - 01:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:46 AM

Bump :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic