Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Media Center Pc_lopsided Partition Config (?)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mark4man

mark4man

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:05 PM

OK...

Here's a brain burner for the XP men out there:

A friend of mine purchased an HP PC last year...w/ Windows XP Media Center. Lately he tells me he gets a message when he fires it up that says he's running out of disc space. I took at look at it for him last night...& he has a 300 GB Hard Drive on board...but w/ only 20 GB volumed (partitioned) as Local [C]; & the remaining 280 GB partitioned as HP_RECOVERY [D.] Everything he has (My Documents, My Pictures, important Files, Folders, etc., etc.) is mapped to the Local Disk. The recovery volume is virtually empty. The local disk is now starting to bog down.

So...without asking why the drive would be configured w/ numbers that seem to be opposite of what I feel would be normal...at first I was thinking I could help him by using the Disk Management console to reverse the size of the volumes (decrease D & then increase C.) But if the entire disk is utilized, I would need 3rd party partition software (& I'm not sure volume capacity can be reduced in Disk Management, anyway.)

Then an MVP suggested that I simply rename the HP_RECOVERY volume to 'Data' or something similar; & move all his files & folders over to that volume.

So...is this a plausible solution?

And if so...how then does data remapping occur? I know for most apps, when they're reopened (& the data is missing), they throw up a browse dialog; & if all is found all is well, no problem. But last night...for the hack of it...we moved his 'My Pictures' Folder over to the recovery partition & then fired up Media Center...& Media Center didn't seem all that interested in finding 'My Pictures'. Is there a setting in Media Center I'm missing? Or…better yet…is there a way to configure the whole doggone operating system to remap the data? (& then reset System Restore) Thanks,

mark4man

Edited by mark4man, 15 April 2007 - 12:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 12:12 AM

How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:03 AM

Giving the larger partition to recovery.. Now that Doesn't make much sense... What was HP thinking.

Use the link above, or you could use a 3rd party partitioning tool. Digital Dolly is a good one, I've also had good luck with partition magic (only use it if you know what you are doing though).

Only a suggestion, not a recommendation:

I get rid of my recovery partition. I find it useless. If you know that system files should not be tampered with, then you don't need it. I usually format it, and either A: merge the partitions, or B: Use it as a dual boot, back up of media, etc.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:44 PM

That's not a normal size for a recovery partition - something has likely changed it to that size.

I'd backup the recovery data from the partition - then use a good partition manager to shrink the D: partition to the end of the disk - thereby leaving room to expand the C: partition into the extra space. Be careful to locate the D: partition at the end of the disk - if it's before the empty space you won't be able to expand the C: drive into it (although you could name that space E: and use it for storage).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 mark4man

mark4man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:56 PM

Holy Sh_t...!!!

Got busy on some other stuff & then forgot to come back. Thanks very much...everybody.

So...what about renaming? No one likes that idea?

Thanks again,

mark4man

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users