Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Freezes, Cpu Jumps To 100%, Programs Won't Open

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nothing but questions

nothing but questions

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 11:37 AM

Two computers in house, one with XP Home, one with XP Pro both with SP2 and IE7.
Within the last week, BOTH have experienced freezes and agaonizingly slow 3-5 minute waits periodically on opening programs. I have had to shut down from the tower as nothing responds. UPon reboot, sometimes it is fine, sometimes not.
In following your forums advice I tried to run Adaware. In checking for updates on BOTH computers I receieve an error in updating message that it stops at 5%. Without the update it finds nothing. Nor does Spybot, nor does AVG.
Is everyone experiencing this update problem with ADaware? Suggestions? THeir download version of Feb. 27, 2007 is older than my last udate. What now????
MSconfig is on selective startup and now shows only shows only SOUNDMAN, jusched, avgcc, ctfmon, Logitech SetPoint.
Task MGR shows 35processes.
I have 2.0 ram and VM is set at 4000
Ideas?
AS I JUST checked my post length - it spiked and froze temporarily.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:45 PM

During Ad-Aware SE updates if you are getting "Error retrieving updates" when at 5% download completion, see the following:__________________

Using Windows Task Manager > Process tab try to determine what process is using the CPU the most.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 02:32 PM

Do you set your computers to Windows Update automatically? They've had some problems lately
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 15 April 2007 - 02:33 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 02:41 PM

What sort of routine maintenance do you perform? Running checkdisk and then defragging may help. How many open windows do you normally have?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:52 PM

Try a free, online scan: http://safety.live.com or http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Otherwise, it'll be a battle trying to find the bugger that's causing this and then eliminate it.

Another suggestion is a HiJackThis log. Read the instructions at this link and post a logfile there: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users