Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Epson stylus C66 problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 doublediamond

doublediamond

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 12 January 2005 - 02:48 PM

Hello
Newbie with first post, so apologies if this is wrong :thumbsup:

We recently purchased an epson stylus c66 printer to replace our old one. Since day one we have had problems installing it; it worked fine initially but as soon as the pc shuts down it then doesnt work. The only way I could get it to work was to constantly unistall the printer, and also associated *epsubun* files ( whatever they are) and then reinstall it again. I had to do this every time the pc had shut down.

However now it is even refusing to do that - it isn't recognising the cable connection even though this has been checked and treble checked, nor is it conifiguring the same port as before.

Also my add/remove programs is completely screwed - the action is still there but there are no programs listed under it!

I could go on but dont wish to sound and more stupid than I am....

My operating system is windows me

Thanks to anyone who reads this and is able to help - what a great idea this forum is!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 12 January 2005 - 08:39 PM

Welcome to BC doublediamond

You have given me some of the information needed to help your cause, but there is still a little more work needed. Be patient with me, and I will return the favor :flowers:

When you install hardware, windows likes to already have the needed drivers, so it does not have to search for them. When it does not find them, an error is often shown to tell you that there is something wrong. You may not have done anything to cause this, it is just the way that Windows works.

The first step in correcting the problem is to completely erase all the drivers that is already there. You may not know, but some of these files are loaded when you turn your computer on. Some of the files that needs to be deleted may already be in memory, so we have to enter a special type of start up called Safe Mode. You may have heard of it before, and in case you would like to know how to get your computer in Safe Mode, the directions can be found here. Feel free to print that out, because while you are in Safe Mode, you might not have access to the internet. While in Safe Mode, use the Add/Remove programs to delete the Epson drivers. You might also want to right-click your printer from the Printer and Faxes, and select delete. The last step here in Safe Mode would be to erase your recycle bin, but it is really optional. Afer all this, you can restart the computer, but leave the printer unplugged from the computer.

This is quite a bit of information already, but that is ok. I promise that you are not on a timer. On with the next step.

I know that you have already installed it many times before, but lets try it with this specific order. When your computer comes back up, open the CD tray and insert the installation CDs. Wait until it finishes all of it, and then remove it from the drive. After it has closed, plug the printer back in, and let it go through the processes. Windows will say that it found some new hardware (well, new to windows :thumbsup: ), and because you have already put in the drivers, it will know where to look and what to do with it.

When everything finishes up, restart your computer with the printer plugged back in.

Take your time, and post back if you have any questions.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 doublediamond

doublediamond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2005 - 07:37 PM

Thank you SOOO much - i never thought of using safe mode to add and remove!! I told you i was a computer dummy
I shall try that and then post to let you know how i got on!

:thumbsup:

#4 doublediamond

doublediamond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2005 - 07:47 PM

Thank you so much for your help already - I tried safe mode and I still have no programs listed under add/remove programs :thumbsup:

I think i have already deleted all the 'hidden' files as I followed a detailed list obtained from the epson helpline but no joy

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 13 January 2005 - 11:32 PM

Thanks for the update.

How about you try a portion of it, and let me know the results.

Turn off the computer.
Unplug the printer from the computer.
Turn the computer back on normally.
Print a document~anything, but a one-page text document would be preferred.
When the screen shows an error saying you do not have printer plugged in, click cancel.
Plug the printer back in.
Reprint the same document as before.
Restart the computer with the printer plugged in.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#6 doublediamond

doublediamond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 11:39 AM

Hello
So sorry it has taken me so long to reply - a family crisis prevented me from getting online :thumbsup:

Thank you also for persevering with me!

I followed your recommendations, and got the same error message whether the printer was plugged in or not! I have checked and trebled checked the cable and connections and they seem to be ok.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users