Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphic Card Help.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JoshT

JoshT

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 09:41 AM

Hi, I looked into my manual for my mobo, and it says I've got a 4xAGP port, which I currently use with an older graphics card (ATI), and I was wondering what would be the best for my computer, OR should I use a PCI graphics card? I'm still new to the whole Graphics Card thing.

I was really wondering what would be the best card, and what type I should use (NVidia or ATI again).

Specs (if important):
I've got 1gb of ram.
Two 85GB hard drives.
Socket 423, P4.
Windows XP Pro.

Thanks,

JoshT

Edited by JoshT, 15 April 2007 - 09:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 02:52 PM

Well, since you're using an AGP port for your video card, STAY with AGP video cards. PCI cards will definitely not work on your computer. There's still plenty of AGP cards out there, but their numbers are starting to dwindle. You can still find a nice bargain for AGP cards on eBay, though.

The problem is, since you have a relatively older computer, make sure that your mobo can handle the video card. You'll also want to be sure that you have a decent power supply (judging by your mobo and specs, I'd say 350 watts is good).

I'd need to know exactly what kind of mobo you have, though, to be able to tell you what video cards you can use. A 4X AGP slot mobo is pretty rare nowadays as PCI Express 16x has taken over the market for some time.

Also depends on what games you play and why exactly you want to upgrade your video card. I can tell you that if you want to play FEAR or Battlefield 2, you'll need a new computer, pretty much.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2007 - 03:04 PM

If it's a PC Chips mobo, I wouldn't waste a whole lot of money on it, but that's only my opinion
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 JoshT

JoshT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:14 PM

Well, what I'm really trying to say here is, Could you show me a card for sell that will work great with my compy?

I've found this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130197

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:18 PM

Well, what I'm really trying to say here is, Could you show me a card for sell that will work great with my compy?

I've found this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130197

That is for a mobo with a PCI Express slot. You only have an AGP slot
Here are their AGP cards
newegg
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 16 April 2007 - 09:21 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users