Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet Card Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bbd123

bbd123

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:08 AM

Hi I've been here before and everyone has always been very helpful. Here is my latest problem. My kids have their own computer which is a IBM Aptiva 2194 36U very out of date and very low powered but suits them just fine for the purpose of chatting and misic downloads. They somehow messed up the Win 98SE OS and I had to do a Format reinstall and I did not back up any of the drivers for anything because I couldn't get the OS to do anything I wanted it to. I reinstalled from the Win 98SE disk and then updated video and audio drivers from the IBM site. Video installed well and everything works fine. Audio was installing and prompted "cannot find smx.cat file on disk or on C: drive I have done numerous serches and cannot find anything about how to get this file.When I check the device manager and click properties it says this device is working properly but still we have no sound. The main issue is the driver for the ethernet card does the same thing when I check device manager it says "SMACK 1244TX V2" this device is working properly but when we try to hook up to the internet we receive a "DNS ERROR" saying to check the internet settings. All settings are as they were before the reinstall. Holy moly I have spent the whole day searching driver pages and forums, but to no avail. I am wondering if it is my Win 98SE installation disk or am I just not going through the right steps. It's a good thing I have this machine to communicate with or I would really feel lost. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by bbd123, 15 April 2007 - 12:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:39 AM

I would say find a copy of Windows 2000. It has better driver compatibility. If you want to use 98SE, I would pop open the covr and get the exact model number of the ethernet card (if it is built onto the mobo, get the model of the motherboard) and search it up on www.driverguide.com

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users